The St. Louis Cardinals reduced the number of players in major-league camp by five over the weekend. On Saturday, the Cardinals traded lefthanded reliever Sam Freeman to the Texas Rangers, which reduced the number of players in camp and on the 40-man roster by one. On Sunday, St. Louis announced the following unsurprising moves:
- The Cards optioned infielder Dean Anna, catcher Ed Easley, and first baseman Xavier Scruggs to Triple-A.
- St. Louis reassigned infielder Jacob Wilson to minor-league camp.
- Name in white font: Righty.
- Name in yellow font: Lefty.
- Name in orange font: Switch-hitter.
- Red: Player likely to make the 25-man roster at that position.
- Navy: Player involved in a spring-training competition of some sort. For example, 40-man roster members Martinez and Gonzales are both in navy because they're competing for the fifth starter job. So is non-roster invitee Villanueva because he is after a bullpen job. (If he is still in St. Louis camp come tomorrow morning, I suspect general manager John Mozeliak or manager Mike Matheny communicated to Villanueva or his agent that the righty has a bullpen job.)
- Royal Blue: Member of the 40-man roster unlikely to make the opening-day MLB 25-man roster.
- Light Blue: Non-roster invitee (NRI).
- Light Gray: Member of the 40-man roster who has been optioned to Triple-A already this spring.
- Dark Gray: NRI who has been reassigned to minor-league camp already this spring.
- Green: Injured. There is not a disabled list in spring training, but there are injuries. I don't know why I didn't implement the green coloration for Tommy Pham, who sustained a quad injury on March 13 and hasn't played an inning since. At any rate, Garcia's fatigue issue caused me to use the coloration for him and Pham to indicate injury that is keeping them out of action.