Over the weekend the Cardinals completed a four-game sweep of the Cubs. It was quite an unexpected outcome. Up to that point the Cardinals had played six games at Wrigley.
They had lost all six.
“Now we gotta go beat those Cubs in Chicago. We haven’t beat ‘em all year in Chicago. We’re gonna beat ‘em this time.” - Adam Wainwright #stlcards— Jeff Jones (@jmjones) September 18, 2019
Just as Adam Wainwright promised, over they weekend that record regressed toward the mean. The Cardinals swept the Cubs, bringing them to the brink of playoff elimination and clinched a playoff spot for the first time since 2015. It was delightful.
That is not all, though. In sweeping the Cubs, all in one-run games and in dramatic ninth-inning comebacks, the Cardinals had done something to the Cubs for the first time almost 100 years: sweep them in four games at Wrigley.
• First 4-game sweep by Cards at Wrigley since 1921— Jordan Bastian (@MLBastian) September 23, 2019
• First 4-game sweep in MLB with all 1-run losses at home since 1919
• First time Cubs have lost five 1-run games in a row since 1915
Division hopes? Gone.
“There's no words right now.”https://t.co/48yX09yzfJ via @MLB
Other things that happened the last time the Cardinals completed a four-game sweep of the Cubs at Wrigley:
- The Provence of Northern Ireland was created
- The United States formally ended World War I
- Baseball was broadcast over the radio for the first time
- Franklin Roosevelt was diagnosed with Polio
- The first White Castle opened
- Albert Einstein was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics
The Cardinals are three games ahead of the Brewers to win the NL Central with six games to play.
what else is going on in baseball...
what the cardinals are up to...
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the arizona diamondbacks
the nl central
Tweet or e-mail me links @lil_scooter93 or at lil_scooter93 AT msn DOT com!