According to Baseball Reference, Giancarlo Stanton is currently on pace to hit 61 home runs in 2017. For those in the know about baseball records, that would tie him with Roger Maris, whose 1961 season total of 61 dingers puts him at number seven on the list, behind only Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, and Barry Bonds. Many baseball fans are aware of the allegations that have caused these three players records to be questioned. Some even go further to not acknowledge these records at all, calling Roger Maris the true home run leader. While the ethical question of the use of performance enhancing drugs diminishes the feats of these athletes is a part of a interesting and worthy discourse, the fact remains the record was broken. Records are context-less. That is the whole point. It is why as humans advance they continue to fall and be created anew. The fact that Barry Bonds hit 73 home runs in 2001 does nothing to diminish the fact that Roger Maris hit 61 in 1961. It is just a cool fact to show off at parties. Or not.
So, with that being said, Giancarlo Stanton is on pace to hit 61 homers in 2017. Would that give him the home run record? No, but it would be the most home runs someone has hit since 2001. And that would be pretty darn cool.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Astros trade for pitcher Justin Verlander | MLB.com
- Astros have part to play in Houston's recovery | MLB.com
- Justin Verlander trade: Remembering how fun the Tigers used to be | SBNation.com
- Brandon Phillips struck a pose after starting a double play with a behind-the-back flip | MLB.com
- Is the LeMahieu Shift the Boldest One Ever? | FanGraphs Baseball
- Is the Yankees’ Fastball Approach Working for Everyone? | FanGraphs Baseball
- Chicago’s Avisail Garcia and Cleveland’s Trevor Bauer fight over pitches | SBNation.com
- Phillies’ Nick Williams has amazing first career slide | SBNation.com
- Royals’ Alex Gordon robbed the Tigers of a home run with this catch | SBNation.com
- The D-Backs have won 10 in a row, now have huge wild card lead | SBNation.com
- There's a month left in the season and the wild card is a mess | SBNation.com
- CC Sabathia is mad at the Red Sox for bunting against him | SBNation.com
- A viewer's guide to the wild, wild final month of the 2017 season | SweetSpot | ESPN
- The unlikely story of how No. 762 became Barry Bonds' final home run | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Cardinals' Carlos Martinez gets second shutout | MLB.com
- Sunday Notes: Vision and Data Fuel Opportunity for Tommy Pham | FanGraphs Baseball
- Projecting Jack Flaherty | FanGraphs Baseball
- Carpenter nurses shoulder injury; Cards will promote infielder Valera | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Despite injuries, Pham 'still going to dive headfirst' | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Cardinals Start Cleaning House...Four Things We Learned This Week About the Club's Plans | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the san diego padres
- Padres fire hitting coach Alan Zinter | Gaslamp Ball
- Padres 0, Cardinals 2: The Cardinals are less easy to beat than the Dodgers | Gaslamp Ball
- Cards Beat Padres 2-0 Behind Martinez CGSO | Viva El Birdos
- Cardinals should destroy the Padres | Viva El Birdos
- Series preview: Cardinals at San Diego | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
the nl central
- Kris Bryant homers as Cubs win fourth straight | MLB.com
- Cubs reach high point with 5th win in a row | MLB.com
- Jake Arrieta leaves Cubs game with leg injury | SBNation.com
- After hitting a home run, Joey Votto gave his bat and jersey to a young Reds fan | MLB.com
- Jimmy Nelson and Brewers shut out Nationals | MLB.com
- Why the Pirates Gifted Juan Nicasio | FanGraphs Baseball
Tweet or e-mail me links @lil_scooter93 or at lil_scooter93 AT msn DOT com!