It was announced that during Players’ Week, Major League Baseball players will be allowed to put nicknames on the back of their jerseys. As previously discussed, the Cardinals have a crisis in this regard: they suffer from a severe lack of great nicknames. Craig Edwards discussed this Wednesday as well as the nicknames that the players chose.
But this is Tsunamy Thursday. So let’s analyze Carlos Martínez’ choice:
We cannot fault the man for going with his long-time nickname over a nickname given to him by some nerds on the Internet, despite how glorious the name is. A few have made the argument that one is not allowed to pick his or her nickname - it must be bestowed on them. But then, once the nickname is bestowed and the person meets new people, is that person not allowed to inform the new acquaintances of the existing nickname or must the person allow the new acquaintances to bestow a new nickname? Where is the line?
I say once you are given a nickname it is yours to do with as you please. And Carlos wants to wear his on his back. With the exception of Seung Hwan Oh’s jersey, this is probably the best one.
If you are interested in purchasing one, I have provided the link for you below.
MLB St. Louis Cardinals Jerseys 2017 Little League Classic | MLBShop.com
Cardinals putting nicknames on jerseys | Viva El Birdos
what else is going on in baseball...
- Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton hits 38th home run | MLB.com
- Dodgers' Yasiel Puig robs D-backs of home run | MLB.com
- That Other Truly Dominant Starting Pitcher | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Mike Trout MVP Precedent | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Mets might have turned down a better Jay Bruce offer from the Yankees | SBNation.com
- Rays players wore shirts with the Venezuelan flag on them to support teammates | SBNation.com
- MLB's 2017 All-Disappointment team | SweetSpot | ESPN
- Toronto Blue Jays prospect Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is trying to live up to his famous father | ESPN
- Future major league manager? For Mark McGwire, being around baseball is what matters most | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Cards ride six-run fifth inning to rout Royals | MLB.com
- The Cardinals hit a comeback grand slam right after a rally kitten appeared on the field | SBNation.com
- Minor league report: Gomber turns in another seven-inning gem | Cardinal Beat | stltoday.com
- Hochman: Cards' Cat Whisperer speaks! Q-&-A with kitten retriever | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
- Ortiz: Big Dogs give Cardinals reason to believe again | Jesus Ortiz | stltoday.com
- An Unforgettable, Enchanting Night at the Ballpark: Rally Cat, Meet the Rally Catcher | 101Sports.com
- Matheny Hopes the Season's Adversity Will Help the Cardinals Keep Improving | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the kansas city royals
- A cat and Yadier Molina doom Royals in 8-5 loss | Royals Review
- A Kansas City Royals Community | Royals Review
the nl central
- Must C: Hamilton's amazing catch | MLB.com
- Joey Votto and the Changing Strike Zone | FanGraphs Baseball
- Chicago Cubs face their biggest test yet without Willson Contreras | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN