The Major League Baseball Trade Deadline is upon us. While we are not sure what the St. Louis Cardinals are preparing to do, we can speculate. Most of the trade rumors involving the Cardinals have been centered around Lance Lynn, a starting pitcher for the Cardinals that will become a free agent after the 2017 season ends. According to MLB Trade Rumors, the Astros may be suitors for Lynn’s services:
The Cardinals are open to moving Lynn if they’re presented with an offer they find appealing, as they’re not likely to make Lynn a qualifying offer and risk paying him $18.1MM or so in light of the diminished draft-pick compensation for players that reject a qualifying offer. [SOURCE]
The American League-leading Astros have shown interest in a bevy of starting pitchers leading up to Monday’s trade deadline, and the latest is Cardinals right-hander Lance Lynn, tweets Jon Morosi of MLB Network. While the teams were recently embroiled in a hacking scandal that resulted in Major League Baseball forcing the Cardinals to send two draft picks and pay a $2MM fine to the Astros, the clubs are "comfortable" dealing with each other, per Morosi.
As Morosi points out (on Twitter), Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow is quite familiar with Lynn, having been in St. Louis’ front office when the team used a first-round pick on the hurler in the 2008 draft.
The Nationals have scouted Cardinals outfielder Tommy Pham along with reliever Trevor Rosenthal, according to Jon Morosi of MLB.com (via Twitter).
And that has mainly been it. As the clock winds closer to 3:00 pm CST, more should be known about the Cardinals plans. Most reports indicate that the Cardinals are looking for bullpen help, but want to avoid sacrificing future competitiveness in order to improve the team in the present, per Ken Rosenthal.
So who knows?
what else is going on in baseball...
- The Physics of a Rising Fastball | The Hardball Times
- A seagull almost got hit by a 90 mph pitch during a Twins-A’s game SBNation.com
- Adrian Beltre Joins the 3,000-Hit Club | FanGraphs Baseball
- Adrian Beltre is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, and I’m not sure when that happened | SBNation.com
- Adrian Beltre cracks himself up by quoting Marshawn Lynch after getting his 3,000th hit | SBNation.com
- Fort Worth Zoo names baby giraffe Beltre and baseball got a lot cuter | SBNation.com
- The Trade Deadline Isn’t As Important As We Think | FanGraphs Baseball
- Jaime Garcia Traded to New York, Becomes Poor-Man’s Mike Piazza | FanGraphs Baseball
- It’s the 20th anniversary of one of the worst trades in baseball history | SBNation.com
- 2017 MLB trade deadline rumor tracker | SBNation.com.
- Top things to watch on Trade Deadline Day | SweetSpot ESPN
- Houston Astros need a starting pitcher, Dodgers might never lose again | SweetSpot | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Rumor Central: Houston Astros interested in Lance Lynn? | MLB Rumor Central | ESPN
- Rumor Central: Cardinals willing to trade OF; Randal Grichuk available | MLB Rumor Central | ESPN
- Baseball Hall of Famer Lou Brock says he is cancer free | ESPN
- Goold: What on-the-go Garcia tells us about Cards and trade deadline | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
- Gordo: Cardinals have many options as trade deadline nears | Jeff Gordon | stltoday.com
- Ortiz: DeWitt displeased with Molina's Instagram post | Jesus Ortiz | stltoday.com
- Hochman: Cards stuck between a trade and a hard place | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
- If Mike Matheny Loses Yadier Molina's Loyalty, the Manager Is In Danger of Losing the Clubhouse | 101Sports.com
- Four Months Into a Long, Strange Trip for the Cardinals | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Projecting Jeimer Candelario and Isaac Paredes | FanGraphs Baseball
- Cubs Win Justin Wilson Bidding War | FanGraphs Baseball
- Tigers trade Justin Wilson, Alex Avila to Cubs | MLB Daily Dish
- Trade tracker: Cubs bring in reliever Wilson, catcher Avila | Cardinal Beat | stltoday.com