The Cardinals sit at 46-47, 4.5 games behind the first pace Brewers and third in the NL Central. The way the Cardinals are currently constructed, it is difficult to see a clear way for the team to upgrade. It is also difficult to see a lot of ways for the team to sell. So what will the Cardinals do? It is a question Ben Godar discussed just this morning:
Bernie Miklasz got Bill Dewitt, Jr. on the record over the weekend, saying "we're not buyers or sellers, we're dealers." In just the last day or so, there have been reports of the team in talks to trade away free-agent-to-be Lance Lynn, while at the same time seeking to acquire Christian Yelich or Macell Ozuna from the Marlins.
Does it make sense to be both buyers and sellers? What would that look like?
Well the team is not saying either way - not even to other teams!
Huh. So what do ya know... Will the Cardinals be buyers or sellers? It seems only time will tell.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Giancarlo Stanton drills homer off scoreboard | MLB.com
- Yankees' Aaron Judge gets out on 97-mph throw | MLB.com
- Jean Segura sent the Mariners to extra innings with three straight defensive gems | MLB.com
- Projecting the Prospects in the J.D. Martinez Trade | FanGraphs Baseball
- Diamondbacks Land J.D. Martinez, Best Bat on Market | FanGraphs Baseball
- White Sox trading Todd Frazier to Yankees for top prospects, per reports | SBNation.com
- Astros Lose Carlos Correa For Two Months | FanGraphs Baseball
- Carlos Correa will have surgery for a torn thumb ligament, miss 6 to 8 weeks | SBNation.com
- Do Sidearmers Get Hip Problems? | FanGraphs Baseball
- Olney: Players who should be traded but won't move at the deadline | Buster Olney Blog | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- BenFred: Grichuk's ups and downs offer lesson for DeJong | Ben Frederickson | stltoday.com
- Cardinals Trade Talk: Analysts on Stanton's Risky Contract and Whether Miami Is Willing to Deal | 101Sports.com
- Final Score: Cardinals 5, Mets 0—Why do (red) birds suddenly appear? | Amazin' Avenue
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the new york metropolitans
- Chris Christie caught a foul ball at a Mets game and was promptly booed by the entire stadium | SBNation.com
- A New York Mets Community | Amazin' Avenue
the nl central
- Kyle Schwarber goes over wall after foul catch | MLB.com
- Jon Lester Had a Game for the Ages | FanGraphs Baseball
We are proud to announce we are having a BOY! This has been the most exciting journey! Thank you... https://t.co/XrpI5uSDR1— andrew mccutchen (@TheCUTCH22) July 18, 2017