Welcome to the refreshed Viva El Birdos! To celebrate the new look and feel of our sports communities, we’re sharing stories of how and why we became fans of our favorite teams. If you’d like to share your story, head over to the FanPosts to write your own post. Each FanPost will be entered into a drawing to win a $500 Fanatics gift card.* We’re collecting all of the stories here and featuring the best ones across our network as well. Come Fan With Us!
I am a Midwest Farmer’s Daughter™ through and through. I wore braided pigtails with a bandanna, wore bibs (which is what my mother called shorts overalls), and was the quintessential "Daddy’s Girl". Anything to spend time with my dad was what I was all about. So I hunted, helped train the dogs, and watched sports.
Some of those things have fallen by the wayside as I grew older. I love dogs still, but my training days are behind me. I found sleeping in to be more my speed than getting up early to go out to the duck blind. But sports. Those stuck. In fact, my dad would tell you I know more about them than he does now, and he would right.
I had always been a casual Cardinals fan, but the obsession was under control until I began college in St. Louis. There I had access to all the channels the Cardinals could possibly play on and since I was no longer involved in playing competitive sports, the free time to watch them. I was hooked.
From there the bond with the Cardinals just grew. Through them, I made many friends, experienced new joys and heartaches, and grew alongside the team. I owe the team a lot - heck, I think I might have gotten my first job because my interviewer was a baseball fan. The Cardinals have always been there for me, so I will always be there for them.
Because that is a part of who I am: A daughter, a sister, a friend, and a St. Louis Cardinals fan.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Mike Trout shot among Statcast extreme homers | MLB.com
- What you need to know for the holiday weekend | MLB.com
- MLB’s Pace and Time of Game Are Moving in the Wrong Direction | FanGraphs Baseball
- Grading the Pitches: 2016 NL Starters’ Sliders | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Dodgers Basically Have a Six-Man Rotation | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Red Sox struck out a record 20 batters because an ump screwed up a rule | SBNation.com
- ‘MVP Baseball 2005’ was the best sports video game ever | SBNation.com
what the cardinals are up to...
- Ortiz: Martinez credits Molina with his resurgence | Jesus Ortiz | stltoday.com
- Matheny traces Fowler's slump back to shoulder issue | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Watch Tommy Herr Cork a Walkoff Grand Slam on 'Seat Cushion Night' in 1987 | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the colorado rockies
the nl central
- The Cubs went on an 'Anchorman'- themed road trip, because of course they did | MLB.com
- Jake Arrieta plays at Dodger Stadium on MLB.TV | MLB.com
- Theme trips and W's? Chicago Cubs ready to have some fun | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- Joey Votto Has Just Simply Stopped Striking Out | FanGraphs Baseball
viva el stuff...
The Case for Kolten Wong to Leadoff | Viva El Birdos
125 Years of Cardinals Baseball: Round of 32 Voting | Viva El Birdos
The Ideal Roster Construction | Viva El Birdos
Thoughts on the Luis Robert (Non)Signing | Viva El Birdos
Baserunning Risk Calculator | Viva El Birdos
Find Your Spirit Cardinal: My Very Dumb 2017 Edition Flowchart | Viva El Birdos
- Viva El Birdos Podcast: Episode 83 | Viva El Birdos
- NBA Playoffs Cavaliers-Warriors now becomes an NBA Finals trilogy | ESPN
- Ready for a road trip? 10 destinations close to home | Go! Magazine's Summer Fun Guide | stltoday.com