With the callup of Magneuris Sierra came some consternation over how his name is pronounced. To avoid this anxiety and potential embarrassment, many people have taken to shortening it with a nickname like "Mags" or "Maggy". Of course that brought up a different set of problems. Is shortening a name really a nickname? Do people even like that?
A Twitter user asked Dexter Fowler for his opinion. And he gave it.
I could go for that. It has a nice rhyme and rhythm to it. It works. Of course, Dex does not actually want to be called that.
Please don't start calling me Sexy Dexy. It was a joke.— Dexter Fowler (@DexterFowler) May 14, 2017
So what about shortening names? We still are not sure, but the rule of thumb is to just ask and according to reports, Magneuris likes "Mags". Works for me!
what else is going on in baseball...
- Angels' Albert Pujols moves up RBI list | MLB.com
- Bryce Harper completed his checklist with a homer in every National League park | MLB.com
- Projecting Bradley Zimmer | FanGraphs Baseball
- Grading the Pitches: 2016 MLB Starters’ Two-Seamers | FanGraphs Baseball
- How to Beat Statcast’s Hitting Metric | FanGraphs Baseball
- It’s Kind of Amazing the Rangers Are Where They Are | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Athletics are buying a fan a new phone after his got crushed by a home run | SBNation.com
- Adam Jones donated $20,000 to the Negro League Museum | SBNation.com
- Baseball needs more people like Adam Jones | SBNation.com
- Another Cy Young surprise? Three aces no one saw coming | SweetSpot | ESPN
- Mini Yadi? For Red Sox catcher Christian Vazquez, there's no greater compliment | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Goold: Who really won Cards' startling Lackey-Craig trade with Red Sox? | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
- Mozeliak active in Cards' pursuit of Luis Robert | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Sierra likely to be sent down with Piscotty, Peralta close to returning | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- The Cardinals Lead the NL Central, Suddenly The Division of Day-Dream Believers | 101Sports.com
- Relive the Cards and Giants' 1986 'Game of Thrones' Styled Battle | 101Sports.com
- Cardinals May Need to Think About Parting Ways With Peralta | 101Sports.com
- Cardinals Sport ‘67 Unis, Drop Battle with Sox | Viva El Birdos
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the boston red stockings
- Boston Red Sox ace Chris Sale has to manage his outbursts in Boston | ESPN
- Red Sox 6, Cardinals 3: Eduardo Rodriguez hangs tight; Mookie Betts and Jackie Bradley lead offense | Over the Monster
- A Boston Red Sox Community | Over the Monster
the nl central
- Cubs hit 4 homers to beat Reds at Wrigley | MLB.com
- What gets laid-back Wade Davis' adrenaline flowing? | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- Josh Harrison abruptly pumped the brakes on his slide into second and it worked perfectly | MLB.com
- Let’s Pick a Side: Altherr or Schwarber? | FanGraphs Baseball
- Eric Sogard's adorable daughter cried her heart out after Brewers lost | SBNation.com