Saturday was the anniversary of Stan Musial reaching 3,000 hits. The story behind it is great and Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch has an excellent write-up about it on STLToday.com. Here is a snippet from the first two paragraphs:
Musial's base hit in the first game gave him 2,999 in his career, one shy of becoming the eighth player in major-league history with 3,000. A homestand was set to start in a day, so Musial suggested he skip the game at Wrigley so that he could reached the milestone back at home, at Busch, in front of a home crowd.
Of course, reaching the milestone at home was not meant to be...
Another big thanks to David for the cool link!
what else is going on in baseball...
- Beat the Streak leader's run ends at 51 games | MLB.com
- The Indians' scoreboard was just the latest shot in Terry Francona's prank war against Kevin Cash | MLB.com
- Terry Francona keeps using the Indians’ scoreboard to mercilessly mock Rays manager Kevin Cash | SBNation.com
- Matthew McConaughey took in the Indians game while wearing an 'alright' hat | MLB.com
- 10 under the radar picks for All-Star Game | MLB.com
- Padres starter Luis Perdomo hits RBI triple | MLB.com
- Yasiel Puig’s on a High-Fastball Diet | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Yankees are enjoying an absurd number of renaissance players | SBNation.com
- We don’t appreciate Freddie Freeman enough | SBNation.com
- Tim Tebow earns each team in the South Atlantic League an extra $44,200 a night | SBNation.com
- Bryce Harper is still on pace to break the offseason after 2018 | SBNation.com
- The 10-day DL and the starting pitcher apocalypse | ESPN
- Real or not? Houston Astros' double-play combo may be one of best ever | SweetSpot | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Rumor Central: Will the Cards shop Jhonny Peralta? | MLB Rumor Central | ESPN
- Quick Hits: Derrick Goold on the Cardinals | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
- Hochman: Anticipation is a big part of ballpark ritual | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
- Cardinals skip Wacha now hoping for a payoff in September | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Watch Cardinals Prospect Adolis Garcia Steal Home for Class AA Springfield | 101Sports.com
- Six Thoughts On an Exciting Cardinals Farm System | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the boston red stockings
- Red Sox come calling; interleague play at home has hurt Cards | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Series Preview: Red Sox at Cardinals | Over the Monster
- Mookie Betts wins American League Player of the Week Award | Over the Monster
- A Boston Red Sox Community | Over the Monster
the nl central
- David Ross continued his 'Dancing with the Stars' dominance, foxtrotted his way to finals | MLB.com
- Jake Arrieta Has Not Been Good | FanGraphs Baseball
- Why are the Chicago Cubs struggling? | ESPN
- The Essence of the Brewers in One Handy Table | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Greater Significance of Bronson Arroyo’s Leg Kick | FanGraphs Baseball