The Cardinals suffered a bitter loss to the Worshington Nationals on Tuesday, but if there was a lone bright spot in the game it came in the form of Trevor Rosenthal. Rosey has had some troubles in the past - when he first arrived on the scene in 2013 he eventually cemented his status as closer using an electric fastball and displaying flashes of what could be an excellent changeup, but possible fatigue in 2014 saw him struggle, particularly with command of his fastball. He rebounded in 2015 and put up a season more in line with his 2013 performance, but saw another decline in 2016, perhaps due to injury, that resulted in his worst season to date - his walk rate and homeruns per flyball ballooned - and a demotion from his closer role.
So here we are in 2017, not knowing exactly what to expect from the hard-throwing righty, especially considering he started the season on the disabled list. For those with doubts, while one game is not nearly enough of a sample to allay all of them, it was enough to get pretty excited anyway. I mean, look at this:
Trevor Rosenthal following 100mph ched with a silky smooth Slider to demoralize Anthony Rendon. pic.twitter.com/teXeKtuiwh— Pitcher List (@ThePitcherList) April 11, 2017
Right? RIGHT? He is throwing a slider, particularly that slider! That pitch, combined with the sequencing of a 100 mph fastball thrown just prior what unhittable. It was beautiful. It was some other third thing.
Trevor Rosenthal looked darn good, which is an incredibly good thing because the bullpen needs some serious help.
what else is going on in baseball...
- No litter? Cat stars in Miami me-owtfield | MLB.com
- There’s a wild cat roaming around the Marlins’ home run behemoth | SBNation.com
- Mets hit seven home runs to blow out Phillies | MLB.com
- Yoenis Cespedes hit 3 of the Mets’ 7 dingers | SBNation.com
- Hunter Pence came face-to-face with an adorable and well-costumed young version of himself | MLB.com
- Angels rally in 9th, defeat Rangers in 10th | MLB.com
- 2017 MLB Draft bonus pools, pick values | MLB.com
- Aces in MLB? You know them when you see them. | Sports on Earth
- Byron Buxton’s Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week | FanGraphs Baseball
- Chart Party: What if Barry Bonds had played without a bat? | SBNation.com
- The 5 players in the AL West who matter the most | SBNation.com
- Olney: Four-man outfield is coming to a ballpark near you | Buster Olney Blog | ESPN
- Will New York Yankees' Jean Afterman be baseball's first female GM? The sport should be so lucky | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- St. Louis Cardinals concerned about relief pitching | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Cardinals notes: April showers nothing new for Cecil | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Small Sample? Enough Already With That. The 2017 Cardinals Are Looking Like the 2016 Team | 101Sports.com
- Question: If Jhonny Peralta Doesn't Heat Up Soon, How Long Will Mike Matheny Go Before Make a Lineup Change? | 101Sports.com
- Viva El Birdos Podcast: Episode 79 | Viva El Birdos
- Homers and Sloppy Play Sink Lynn, Cards to Bottom of Central | Viva El Birdos
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the worshington nationals
- There Is No Stopping Daniel Murphy | FanGraphs Baseball
- Washington Nationals power past St. Louis Cardinals, 8-3 behind three homers | Federal Baseball
- Washington Nationals place Stephen Drew on 10-Day DL; Nats select Grant Green’s contract | Federal Baseball
- A Washington Nationals Community | Federal Baseball
the nl central
- Cubs set to celebrate with championship rings | MLB.com
- Is Jason Heyward’s Broken Swing on the Mend? | FanGraphs Baseball
- Introducing the Cubs Villainy Meter | SBNation.com
- Joey Votto’s Very Un-Votto Like Start | FanGraphs Baseball