Monday afternoon news broke that Major League Baseball had finally delivered the punishment the Cardinals were to face for the organization’s involvement in the illegal access of the Houston Astros' player database. Viva El Birdos site manager Craig Edwards discusses the situation in detail here. In short, the Cardinals will be fined $2 million by Major League Baseball. The team will also have to forfeit its first two picks of the 2017 First Year Player Draft, which are in this case the fifty-sixth and seventy-fifth pick, including, perhaps more importantly, the slot value attached to those picks.
The opinions on the punishment vary. Some say the Cardinals were not punished enough, as the team already lost its first round pick by signing Dexter Fowler and is losing a free draft slot that was given in the competitive balance lottery. Others say the penalty is harsh considering draft picks were taken at all. Then there of course are those that believe that if the opinions are this mixed the penalty was probably fair.
So what do you think? Answer in the poll below!
With ruling in, Cards and Astros can move on | MLB.com
The Cardinals Got Off Light for the Astros Hack | FanGraphs Baseball
The Cardinals sure got some awfully convenient timing for their hacking punishment | SBNation.com
Punishing the Cardinals is tough: It makes the Astros better | SBNation.com
Cardinals' pain is Astros' gain as MLB levels penalties for hacking | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
Cardinals hacking punishment sends top draft picks, $2 million to Astros | SBNation.com
Hacking scandal fallout a wake-up call for Cardinals, MLB | ESPN
Ortiz: Manfred had no choice but to lower the boom on Cards | Jesus Ortiz | stltoday.com
Ortiz: No winners, only losers in hacking scandal | Jesus Ortiz | stltoday.com
Hackgate Punishment Handed Down - Cardinals' Statement and Reaction | 101Sports.com
Monday Pick 6: Cardinals Hackgate Punishment, Blues are Tweeners | 101Sports.com
The St. Louis Cardinals Picked The Right League To Cheat In | FiveThirtyEight
what else is going on in baseball...
- 13 delicious sandwiches, burgers, beers and more that were named after baseball players | MLB.com
- Jackie Robinson, Ernie Banks and Nolan Ryan were born today, so let's watch their top highlights | MLB.com
- Sonny Gray to pitch in World Baseball Classic | MLB.com
- 2017 Top 100 Prospects list trends: OF, SS up | MLB.com
- Yasiel Puig and Joc Pederson played golf with Joc's two extremely adorable dogs | MLB.com
- The Royals Just Barely Resemble the Royals | FanGraphs Baseball
- Is Baseball the Least Random Sport? | FanGraphs Baseball
what the cardinals are up to...
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Keith Law's NL Central team-by-team top prospects for 2017 | ESPN
- BenFred: Catching up on the Pirates | Ben Frederickson | stltoday.com