On Tuesday, September 6 Major League Baseball announced the nominees from each team for the Annual Clemente Award. Among these nominees was St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright. The award, named in honor of the late Roberto Clemente, revered for his play on the field as a Hall of Famer, but perhaps even more so for his work off of it as a philanthropist, is in "recognition of a player who best represents the game through extraordinary character, community involvement, philanthropy and positive contributions, both on and off the field".
Wainwright has embodied the spirit of this award for the past few years. In 2013, Wainwright established his foundation, Big League Impact, which has been dedicated to helping provide for people in need. He has raised over $1 million for people across the United States and internationally. The foundation has also contributed to "building clean water systems in developing countries, feed hungry kids around the world, cure blindness in an African community and aid in the escape of girls stuck in sex trafficking rings".
Earlier this year Wainwright was awarded the Hutch Award for his contributions to helping those in need. For more on Wainwright’s foundation visit www.bigleagueimpact.org.
Previous Cardinals to be honored with the Clemente Award are Carlos Beltran in 2013.
Roberto Clemente Award nominees | MLB.com
Adam Wainwright nominated for Clemente Award | cardinals.com
what else is going on in baseball...
- Dodgers hit 5 home runs off Zack Greinke | dodgers.com
- Francisco Lindor's defensive clinic could also offer lessons on sneakily effective sliding techniques | MLB.com
- Dozier's three-homer day | MLB.com
- A dragonfly flew dangerously close to a Jered Weaver pitch and lived to tell the tale | MLB.com
- Giancarlo Stanton is back, but is it too late for the Marlins? | SBNation.com
- The NL Cy Young race is a happy mess for everyone | SBNation.com
- Dansby Swanson of Atlanta Braves -- first MLB home run is inside the park | ESPN
- Former MLB pitcher Bryce Florie pleads with pitchers to wear headgear | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Adam Wainwright, Cardinals beat Pirates | MLB.com
- Matt Carpenter hits St. Louis Cardinals' MLB-record 15th pinch-hit home run | ESPN
- The reasons why the St. Louis Cardinals are always contenders | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Matt Carpenter's home run in the ninth sparks Cardinals' two-run rally | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Cardinals: Thanks to the Rookies, the Rotation is Recovering ... but a Change is Coming | 101Sports.com
- Cardinals homer THREE times in the 9th inning after being down to their last strike in 9-7 comeback win | Viva El Birdos
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the pittsburgh pirates
- Postgame: Tony Watson implodes in ninth, Pirates drop eighth game in a row | Bucs Dugout
- Pirates promote Drew Hutchison, Tyler Glasnow, 2 others | Bucs Dugout
- St. Louis Cardinals kick Pittsburgh Pirates to 2017 in dramatic ninth | SweetSpot | ESPN
- Hochman: Biggest win of the season might sink Bucs | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
- A Pittsburgh Pirates community | Bucs Dugout
the nl central