Personally, I hate articles that try to tell the reader what to do or how to live or anything like that. You don’t know me, article; you don’t know my life. So, catchy headline designed to capture your attention aside, the following is not meant to be an attempt to control your life or shame you for doing a certain thing or some other third thing. Do what you want, friends; I will not try to stop you.
That being said, I think we should stop referring to Thursday night’s ending against the Reds as controversial. If you missed the game, Jon Snowzeliak recapped it for you here.
And here is the video of the "controversy" in question:
Why should we just stop talking about it? Here is the thing about controversy: it only exists as long as we acknowledge it. You do something with confidence, people generally do not question it. My mom and I once sat ourselves at a restaurant accidentally because that is what we thought we were supposed to do - anarchy, I know - and no one said a word to us. We just waltzed passed the host stand (which was NOT in plain view, mind you, a very easy mistake), found an empty table, and sat down. A waiter brought us our menus and we went on our way. Only later when we saw people being seated did we realize our mistake.
And that is what the Cardinals did last night. Yadier Molina hit the double, Matt Carpenter scored from first, and the team celebrated and left the field and no one questioned it until it was too late. Confidence - that is what it does.
We should follow the Cardinals lead. We need a consistent story, though. Here is what we will say:
"Matt Carpenter walked. Yadier Molina hit a double to left field. Matt Carpenter scored from first base. The game ended."
"But what about the groundrul-"
"Molina hit a double to left. Carpenter scored from first. The game ended."
"But, the Reds didn-"
"Matt Carpenter scored from first. The game ended."
"The game ended."
If I have learned anything from Thursday night’s game it is if you pretend a problem does not exist, it goes away. Nothing to see here folks. Controversy? What controversy?
I think we have learned a valuable lesson here: if you run away from your problems they disappear, thanks baseball!— viva el birdos (@vivaelbirdos) September 30, 2016
Missed call, 'ridiculous' replay rule aids Cardinals walk-off win | SBNation.com
Cardinals court controversy in contentious win over Cincinnati | SBNation.com
Everybody messes up in St. Louis Cardinals' controversial win | SweetSpot | ESPN
Umpires: MLB requires 'immediate' challenge of walk-off double | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
Wild win for Cardinals after disputed final play | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
'Controversial' End to Cardinals Win Over Cincinnati Wasn't Controversial At All | 101Sports.com
what else is going on in baseball...
- Who is most desperate for a World Series title? | Sports on Earth
- Picking MLB's end-of-season award winners. | Sports on Earth
- Can the Red Sox win it all as a sendoff to Papi? | Sports on Earth
- The Fenway Park outfield is now home to a giant David Ortiz grass mural | SBNation.com
- Yankees honor David Ortiz with ceremony | redsox.com
- Orioles beat Blue Jays, tie for top Wild Card | MLB.com
- Jose Fernandez's funeral service held in Miami | MLB.com
- Vin Scully memories, quotes from broadcasters | MLB.com
- A guide to appreciating Vin Scully if you weren’t there to appreciate him the whole time | SBNation.com
- Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Sandy Koufax relives his finest game | ESPN
- The Actual Difference Between Mike Trout and Mookie Betts | FanGraphs Baseball
- Four Trivial Things to Watch This Weekend | FanGraphs Baseball
- One More Incredible Rangers Statistic | FanGraphs Baseball
- Clayton Kershaw and the NL Cy Young Award | FanGraphs Baseball
- Beyond the Ivy ... The story of every club NOT called the Cubs | ESPN
- Rise of the short player in Major League Baseball | ESPN
- Lourdes Gurriel Setting Up Private Workouts With MLB Clubs | MLB Trade Rumors
what the cardinals are up to...
- Game 159 Recap: The most tentative win in the history of baseball | Viva El Birdos
- Molina's walk-off 2B keeps Cards in WC hunt | MLB.com
- Missed call, 'ridiculous' replay rule aids Cardinals walk-off win | SBNation.com
- Cardinals court controversy in contentious win over Cincinnati | SBNation.com
- Molina's brother on the call for his home run | ESPN Video
- Cardinals in receiving mood after gift win | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- St. Louis Cardinals must reverse their mojo vs. Pirates or it's over | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Everybody messes up in St. Louis Cardinals' controversial win | SweetSpot | ESPN
- Umpires: MLB requires 'immediate' challenge of walk-off double | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
- Wild win for Cardinals after disputed final play | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Tickets for Cardinals possible tiebreaker game on sale at noon Friday | Cardinal Beat | stltoday.com
- Hochman: Reyes is unsung hero on wild night | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
- Goold: Cardinals need a Saturday starter, so why not Rosenthal? | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
- 'Controversial' End to Cardinals Win Over Cincinnati Wasn't Controversial At All | 101Sports.com
- Daily Bernie: September 29 - Why Do Mo and DeWitt Keep Validating Matheny? | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the new york metropolitans
the san francisco giants
- Errors help Giants tighten Wild Card race | MLB.com
- Hunter Pence went absolutely bonkers after Johnny Cueto's two-run bunt | MLB.com
the pittsburgh pirates
- Cubs-Pirates game suspended, ends in tie | MLB.com
- A rain delay in late September resulted in a rare MLB tie | SBNation.com
- A Pittsburgh Pirates community | Bucs Dugout
the nl central
- Theo Epstein, Martin Prado, and Front Office Value | FanGraphs Baseball
- Reds squander late rally, fall to Cardinals 4-3 | Red Reporter
viva el stuff...
- Kolten Forgets the Haters | Viva El Birdos
Vote Now: Which Cardinals Player Has the Best Walk Up Song? | Viva El Birdos
On Season's End: Baseballing Eve | Viva El Birdos
Which Cardinals Team is the Greatest of All Time? | Viva El Birdos
The 20 Most Improbable Comebacks of 2016 (So Far) | Viva El Birdos
- Arnold Palmer's legacy will endure through the ages. | Sports on Earth
- Two NFL teams look far more impressive than the rest. | Sports on Earth