The tragic death of Marlins star pitcher José Fernández rocked the baseball world to its core, particularly Aledmys Díaz, who shared a long history with José dating back to their Little League days in Cuba. The two families are very close and Aledmys flew down to Florida to be with the family of José Fernández during this difficult time. He vowed to play this game "100 percent and rejoice every time I’m on the field because you never know when it’s going to be the last time."
In his first game back following the tragic death of his childhood friend, baseball and fate and Aledmys all combined to give us a chilling moment that will not be forgotten by those privileged enough to witness it.
For those that were not - here it is again. For those that were - here it is again.
It is not often sports are able to elicit such sincere, profound emotions, but when they do...
Diaz makes it a night to remember as he plays to honor Fernandez | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
what else is going on in baseball...
- Dee Gordon’s home run was the perfect tribute to Jose Fernandez | SBNation.com
- Grief-stricken Miami Marlins press on after losing Jose Fernandez | ESPN
- When Jose Fernandez pitched at home, Miami celebrated | ESPN
- Yankees fan attempts to propose on the scoreboard, realizes he lost the ring | MLB.com
- Gary Sanchez's 20th home run ties MLB record | yankees.com
- Yankees fan experiences every emotion after temporarily losing ring during proposal | SBNation.com
- Justin Verlander strikes out season-high 12 | tigers.com
- Carlos Beltran catch, stolen base lift Rangers | texasrangers.com
- Carlos Gomez's 444-foot homer rendered Adrian Beltre and Joey Gallo speechless and bug-eyed | MLB.com
- The Nationals Already Have Another Playoff Letdown | FanGraphs Baseball
- The NL East suffers 2 big injuries | SBNation.com
- The Beautiful Baseball Game | FanGraphs Baseball
- Your guide to baseball's final-week madness | ESPN
- What we learned: Hoping for a three-way tie in NL wild-card race | SweetSpot | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- St. Louis' Aledmys Diaz hit a grand slam in his 1st game after mourning the death of childhood friend Jose Fernandez | SBNation.com
- Has Yadier Molina's value to the St. Louis Cardinals slipped? | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the cincinnati red stockings
the new york metropolitans
- Cespedes homers off sculpture | MLB.com
- The Mets Didn’t Get the Jay Bruce They Traded For | FanGraphs Baseball
the san francisco giants
the nl central