The tragic death of Marlins star pitcher José Fernández brought the baseball world to its knees. Whether the person knew the lovable Cuban mattered not, such was the magnitude of his personality and devastation felt by the loss. For those that did know José, the loss assuredly hit even harder.
Aledmys Díaz and José Fernández go way back - all the way back to little league where they were teammates. When asked about Aledmys back in July, José had this to say:
"I play baseball thanks to his dad. His dad is the one who told my mom to take me to the baseball field. I love him. I love his family."
On Monday morning Aledmys Díaz flew from Chicago to Florida to attend a private memorial to honor the life of his late childhood friend. Per Mark Saxon of ESPN:
The families remained close after both players defected to the United States. Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said Fernandez's family wanted to be around Diaz and his family.
"That was the place where he needed to be today. He doesn't need to be thinking about us right now," Matheny said. "He needed to get back there and be with his family and be with his friend's family and make sure that he's all in. When he gets back here, he'll be all in."
I think the silence from Dan McLaughlin and Ricky Horton after the Little League picture was shown during Monday’s broadcast says it all. It is heartbreaking.
Aledmys Diaz enjoys All-Star Cuban reunion | cardinals.com.
Awww look - tiny Aldemys and Jose! - A Hunt and Peck | Viva El Birdos
Aledmys Diaz of St. Louis Cardinals takes leave for Jose Fernandez memorial service | ESPN
Aledmys Diaz pays respects to Jose Fernandez | MLB.com
Eduardo Pérez's José Fernández Remembrance Was Incredible | Deadspin
what else is going on in baseball...
- Plenty of great playoff matchups still in play. | Sports on Earth
- A 15-year-old pitched for Team Brazil in the World Baseball Classic | MLB.com
- Wild Card makes all the difference for baseball. | Sports on Earth
- Tigers sweep Twins to claim second Wild Card | MLB.com
- Red Sox beat Orioles for 8th straight win | MLB.com
- Mookie Betts did a post-win celebration dance that would make Carlton Banks beam with pride | MLB.com
- Israel rallies past Great Britain in WBC | MLB.com
- Respect mutual between Vin Scully and umpires | dodgers.com
- Dodgers honor Vin Scully in pregame ceremony | dodgers.com
- We've got everything you need to see and hear from Vin Scully's final home game | MLB.com
- Quiz: Can you finish the memorable Vin Scully call? | MLB.com
- Chase Utley Hustles for History | FanGraphs Baseball
- Rangers clinch American League West title | texasrangers.com
- Adrian Beltre had the day off, so he decided to help out and give some signs from the dugout | MLB.com
- Nationals beat Pirates, clinch NL East title | MLB.com
- Bryce Harper celebrated the Nationals clinching the NL East in a Katie Ledecky swim cap | MLB.com
- The Best of FanGraphs: September 19-23, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- "Pitch" Pilot: The Right Woman for the Job | FanGraphs Baseball
- Weak Contact and the American League Cy Young Race | FanGraphs Baseball
- Clayton Kershaw Experimented On the Rockies | FanGraphs Baseball
- Every baseball team still has something to play for. | Sports on Earth
- MLB playoff picture reset | Sept. 27th | MLB.com
- Esurance Best Defensive Player award finalists | MLB.com
- Marlins' Dee Gordon honors Fernandez, homers | marlins.com
- Dee Gordon honors Jose Fernandez, then hits a home run in surreal scene at Marlins Park | SBNation.com
- Our Staff Remembers Jose Fernandez | FanGraphs Baseball
- Marlins players wear No. 16 jerseys as team honors Jose Fernandez in emotional tribute | SBNation.com
- Jose Fernandez reminded us of all that is good about baseball | ESPN
- Giancarlo Stanton's grace in face of grief summons Miami Marlins | ESPN
- Jose Fernandez Was Delighted By This Kenta Maeda Pitch That Fooled Him | Deadspin
- Jose Fernandez Teases Evan Longoria After Giving Up A Home Run | Deadspin
- A Lesson From Carlos Gonzalez And Jose Fernandez: Baseball Is Fun | Deadspin
- Jose Fernandez Hits Home Run, Styles And Profiles, Benches Clear | Deadspoin
- Giancarlo Stanton Crushes A Homer And Jose Fernandez Loses His Mind | Deadspin
- José Fernández Was Why We Watch Sports | Deadspin
what the cardinals are up to...
- St. Louis has always been a baseball town. | Sports on Earth
- Hardly a running start for do-or-die St. Louis Cardinals' homestand | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- For the 2016 Cardinals, A Final Home Stand. Will it Be Their Last Stand? | 101Sports.com
- Cards vs Reds recap: Cards start cold, play terribly, lose in rout | Viva El Birdos
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the cincinnati red stockings
- Reds set season high in runs with 15-2 thumping of Cardinals | Red Reporter
- A Cincinnati Reds community | Red Reporter
the new york mets
- Jose Reyes Asdrubal Cabrera barrel up homers | mets.com
- Mets win on Asdrubal Cabrera's walk-off homer | MLB.com
- Marlins beat Mets in emotional return to field | MLB.com
- Mets Broadcasters Break Down On Air While Remembering José Fernández | Deadspin
the san francisco giants
- Stand-up teammate Eduardo Nunez ran a mile in pursuit of a foul ball Buster Posey lost in the lights | MLB.com
the nl central
- Cubs clinch home field for first two rounds | cubs.com
- Javier Baez hits grand slam in Cubs' 100th win | MLB.com
- Why are Chicago Cubs only 100-win team in year of tanking? | SweetSpot | ESPN