Let’s talk about sliding.
It’s weird. It goes against every instinct in the the human body - that instinct that says "don’t fall, don’t fall, don’t fall". Sliding is literally the act of falling, just with style and grace that comes from years of practice.
Well sometimes, it is. Because let’s admit it, not everyone can be Mike Trout.
Below are some examples of when slides do not go exactly according to plan.
I know this technically is not a slide, but this mishap will always hold a special place in my heart:
what else is going on in baseball...
- Hanley Ramirez homers twice as Sox sweep Yanks | MLB.com
- Tigers use home runs to beat Indians | MLB.com
- Mike Trout pulls off nifty slide to avoid tag | angels.com
- A police officer deftly used his cap as a glove to make a great play on a foul ball | MLB.com
- Dad comes to the rescue after his son has a potentially devastating hot dog mishap | MLB.com
- 2016 MLB Fans of the Year presented by Esurance | MLB.com: Awards
- J.A. Happ’s (Newest) Fastball Secret | FanGraphs Baseball
- How Cleveland’s Injuries Changed Our World Series Odds | FanGraphs Baseball
- The broken Indians might be the best underdog story of the postseason | SBNation.com
- Injuries Are Attempting to Ruin Playoff Rotations | FanGraphs Baseball
- All the irrational and absurd s*** from Tim Tebow's 1st instructional workout | SBNation.com
- MLB's wild card races are still up in the air | SBNation.com
- As end nears, Vin Scully has emotions in check 'but you never know' | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Aledmys Diaz homers as Cardinals beat Giants | MLB.com
- Cardinals at Rockies Recap: Cards win at Coors behind Martinez, Grichuk | Viva El Birdos
- Matt Holliday’s Absence Not Inconsequential for St. Louis | FanGraphs Baseball
- Cardinals' young pitchers survive a gut-check game at Coors Field | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Hochman: What can we expect from Wainwright tonight? | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
- Cardinals notes: Duke stays busy; Holliday tests thumb | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- The Cardinals: With Only 13 Games Remaining, Here Are 10 Keys to Survival | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the colorado rockies
- Colorado Rockies drop series opener to St. Louis Cardinals, 5-3 | Purple Row
- A Colorado Rockies Community | Purple Row
the new york metropolitans
- Conforto, Rivera key Mets in win over Twins | MLB.com
- A Remarkable 30 Days in Queens | FanGraphs Baseball
- New York Mets' Noah Syndergaard has rare bad outing in loss to Braves | Mets Blog | ESPN
the san francisco giants
- Madison Bumgarner started a baseball fight by yelling a bunch, again | SBNation.com
- The Giants lost another game they were leading when the ninth inning started, which totally surprised everyone | McCovey Chronicles
the nl central
- Ben Zobrist lived every 'Sandlot' fan's dream and biked to Wrigley in his uniform | MLB.com
- Trivia Tuesday: Theo Epstein vs. curses | Jayson Stark Blog | ESPN
- Theo Epstein is the mastermind behind the Cubs' season | ESPN
- With division celebration fading, Chicago Cubs begin prep for playoffs | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- Pirates win Bullpen of Week, stay in hunt | MLB.com
- Joey Votto Is Playing With His Food | FanGraphs Baseball