As discussed on the Viva El Birdos podcast, after Tuesday’s game the Cardinals faced an interesting dilemma. Jaime Garcia struggled in his start, surrendering hard hits with each batter up, a story we had seen over and over again as of late, and was removed after only an inning and two-thirds pitched. Replacing him in the game was Alex Reyes. Reyes went on to throw for another four and one-third innings with four strikeouts and six walks, one hit, and no runs in what was basically the equivalent of a start. So, do the Cardinals start Garcia again, even thought he has struggled down the stretch of a tight postseason race, or is Alex Reyes the fix?
It appears the Birdos have weighed each option and made a decision as Reyes has been named the starter for Sunday’s gain against the Giants. Per Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch:
"After going into the game, pitching the way that he did, seemed like a pretty easy transition to give him that opportunity," Matheny said. "He’s continuing to impress us no matter what situation we do put him into, even when it starts to get hot in herre.* And, we feel he’s going to give us the best shot right now."
So Reyes is starting Sunday. Also of note, Trevor Rosenthal has been activated.
Cards choose Reyes over Garcia for Sunday's start | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
*** ALRIGHT ALRIGHT so I paraphrased a little
what else is going on in baseball...
- Orioles beat Red Sox, one game back in AL East | MLB.com
- Red Sox Mookie Betts throw gets Manny Machado | redsox.com
- Marlins vs. Braves Wrapup | 09/14/16
- 2016 MLB Fans of the Year presented by Esurance | MLB.com: Awards
- 2016 Park-Factor Update: National League | FanGraphs Baseball
- A Specific Kind of Golden Age for Shortstops | FanGraphs Baseball
- What Can Hitters Actually See Out of a Pitcher’s Hand? | FanGraphs Baseball
- Julio Urias Is Coming for One of Kershaw’s Titles | FanGraphs Baseball
- Padres GM A.J. Preller suspended 30 games after investigation into Drew Pomeranz trade | SBNation.com
- We're still not paying enough attention to Mike Trout | SBNation.com
- Boston Red Sox hand New York Yankees soul-crushing loss with rally | SweetSpot | ESPN
- Turning Canada blue -- Nation of hockey fans embraces baseball's Toronto Blue Jays | ESPN
- Why Courtney Knichel's job as a baseball GM requires her to wear Converse to work | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Veteran starters have let down Cardinals in disappointing season | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Cardinals Manager Mike Matheny Should Put His Words Into Action | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the san francisco giants
- Cardinals should destroy the Giants | Viva El Birdos
- Cardinals vs. Giants: A High-Stakes Series Between Enigmas | 101Sports.com
- The Giants and Cardinals aren't so different this season | McCovey Chronicles
- Johnny Cueto goes the distance, Giants win | McCovey Chronicles
- A San Francisco Giants Community | McCovey Chronicles
the new york metropolitans
- Wilson Ramos, Tanner Roark lead Nats past Mets | MLB.com
- Why won’t James Loney stretch his legs? | Amazin' Avenue
- A New York Mets Community | Amazin' Avenue
the nl central
- Jon Lester, Cubs shut out Cardinals to win set | MLB.com
- Cubs Clinch N.L. Central Title As Giants Beat Cardinals | Bleed Cubbie Blue
viva el stuff...
- Viva El Birdos Podcast: Episode 55 | Viva El Birdos
Year of the Dinger! | Viva El Birdos
The Cardinals Should Stay Out of the Brandon Moss Bidding War | Viva El Birdos
- Patrik Berglund To Replace Rickard Rakell On Team Sweden WCOH Roster | St. Louis Game Time
- Blues Announce 63-Man Training Camp Roster | St. Louis Game Time
- Fans Stream 'Hot In Herre' On Repeat To Save Nelly From Tax Debt | NPR
- Why Nelly is worth saving | The Washington Post
- Spotify: Nelly streams have increased 200% this week | USA Today