A few weeks ago I posited the question: What is the best Cardinals uniform ever?
Well friends, there is only one way to find out: Battle Royale.
So, to determine the best Cardinals uniform ever, I have, with your gracious assistance, created a bracket where each uniform will duke it out until we have a winner.
(Many of you have asked about the alternate jersey the Cardinals debuted in 2013. Don't worry, folks. I have a plan. Trust the system.)
Here is the bracket, updated to reflect the winner of last week’s matchup:
This week, the voting continues with...
This is the tightest competition of the bracket and for an obvious reason: there just isn’t a lot different about these two uniforms.
In 1971 the team ditched the button down uniform for a pullover style top and sans-a-belt pants that were popular of the time. This uniform included a scoop style neckline and simple red and blue stripes along the edges and running down the pant legs as modeled by the lovely Steve Carlton above.
- The team finished 90-72, second behind the 97-win Pittsburgh Pirates
- Bob Gibson threw a no-hitter in this uniform on August 14, 1971 against the Pirates
- Joe Torre won the MVP award for his play while wearing this uniform
- Bob Gibson was awarded a Gold Glove in 1971
The 1976 uniform is basically the same as the 1971 with one obvious distinction. The Cardinals debuted their powder blue road uniforms this year. The neckline has also changed from a scoop to v-neck. The hat also features the white stripes across the crown. Modeling this uniform above is relief pitcher Bill Greif.
- The team was less successful in this uniform, going 72-90 and finishing fifth in the National League East
- Bill Greif was acquired from the Padres in exchange for Luis Melendez. Greif was out of baseball after the ‘76 season with a career -.9 bWAR. Melendez was out of baseball after the ‘77 season with a career -1.2 bWAR
- 1976 was Red Schoendienst final season as a full-time manager
Vote below for the best!
what else is going on in baseball...
- Stephen Strasburg sidelined by forearm injury | nationals.com
- Must C: Questionable wild pitch | MLB.com
- Mets fans, get to know your newest prospect: Tim Tebow | MLB.com
- Adrian Beltre once again took a knee and singled on pitch that was over his head | MLB.com
- No one has ever been happier than this young Twins fan who came up with a foul ball | MLB.com
- We have a winner for Best Throwback MLB Jersey. | Sports on Earth
- You can try to intentionally walk Gary Sanchez but he'll just hit an almost-homer anyway | MLB.com
- A look back at Sept. 11 and its impact on MLB | MLB.com
- September 11 and the healing power of sports. | Sports on Earth
- Statcast: Puig's diving catch | MLB.com
- Bartolo Colon beats Adonis Garcia to first like it's nothing, celebrates with behind-the-back flip | MLB.com
- NERD Game Scores for September 12, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- When to Give Up an Out on the Bases | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Best of FanGraphs: September 6-9, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- So You Want a Cinderella Story? | FanGraphs Baseball
- The A.J. Pierzynski Experience has come to an end in Atlanta | Talking Chop
- Atlanta Braves C A.J. Pierzynski's future uncertain after being put on DL | ESPN
- Hanley Ramirez is seeing a hitting transformation, but is he alone? | Beyond the Box Score
- End of an error: Oakland A’s release Billy Butler | Athletics Nation
- The Red Sox are in 1st, but their schedule is ridiculous | SBNation.com
what the cardinals are up to...
- St. Louis Cardinals activate shortstop Aledmys Diaz from disabled list | ESPN
- Diaz back with Cardinals, might start tonight | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Hochman: Cards seldom hitting on all cylinders | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
- Wild Card: With the Inconsistent Cardinals and Fading Giants, Mets Are the Team to Beat | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the chicago cubs
- Cubs top Astros, magic number is seven | MLB.com
- The Elite Skill You Won’t Find on Javy Baez’s Scouting Report | FanGraphs Baseball
- Jake Arrieta endures illness, still wins 17th game | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- Chicago Cubs arrive in St. Louis with a chance to clinch division | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- Chicago Cubs series ushers in crunch time for St. Louis Cardinals | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Series preview: Cardinals vs. Cubs | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- A Chicago Cubs Community | Bleed Cubbie Blue
the nl central
- Brewers nip Cards 2-1, split series | Brew Crew Ball
- Tyler Holt! says "There’s no ‘I’ in win", Reds crush Pirates 8-0 | Red Reporter