Vitilla (also referred to as beteyah) is a game that first began in the Dominican Republic, where Cardinals pitcher Carlos Martinez was born. It is a version of street baseball, born of innovative and creative minds that were without the resources to obtain expensive baseball equipment. It was from there, with a bottle cap and a wooden broom handle, that Vitilla was born.
While different from baseball, Vitilla still involves the same skills, except on a more challenging scale, and naturally this game began developing baseball players. Oscar Taveras most likely grew up playing this very game.
Of course with its ease of access, excitement, and similarity to baseball, the game began to catch on. You might now see Vitilla tournaments being played across the United States. In fact, you can see one played right here in St. Louis on Saturday, September 10. Per the press release from Carlos Martinez’s foundation, Tsunami Waves:
On Saturday September 10th the St. Louis Cardinals will be going up against the Milwaukee Brewers, but there will also be a competition taking place right next door at Ballpark Village before that evening game. For the first time ever, Tsunami Waves Foundation & Ballpark Village proudly bring Vitilla to St. Louis. Vitilla is a "street baseball"/stickball tournament. This one will be featuring amateur teams and experienced MLB players from both the Cardinals and the Brewers...
...On September 10th Carlos Martinez founder of Tsunami Waves Foundation has invited 100 or so local teens to come and participate in a Home Run Derby, Pitching Contest, and a Vitilla Game Tournament. "This is really exciting for me, I played Vitilla when I was younger" Says Carlos Martinez, "I am so pleased to be able to bring the game to St. Louis and introduce to the fans a game that I love." The festivities begin at 10am and we invite all the fans to come out and watch.
You might also remember that this day happens to correspond with VEB Day 2016 Part 2: The Reckoning. Juuuuuuuuuuuuuust sayin’.
Come out and support Carlos Martinez and Tsunami Waves and watch an exciting, unique game!
Bottle Caps & Cathedral Ceilings: On St. Louis Cardinals Top Prospect Oscar Taveras | Viva El Birdos
Carlos Martinez Brings Vitilla to Ballpark Village | Events | TSUNAMI WAVES FOUNDATION
VEB Day 2016 Part 2: The Reckoning: Details and Signup | Viva El Birdos.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Zach McAllister makes kick save to catch liner | indians.com
- Tim Tebow puts on showcase for MLB scouts | MLB.com
- Here are all the best tweets about Tim Tebow's workout, in one place | MLB.com
- JaCoby Jones' first big league hit was a go-ahead double and his mom was there to see it | MLB.com
- Justin Upton pretended he lost a ball in the lights, but Adam Eaton was having none of it | MLB.com
- Let's look back and remember nine facial hair'd players who epitomized '70s cool | MLB.com
- For his latest retirement gift, David Ortiz received an entire New England corn maze in his honor | MLB.com
- Rangers bond playing pingpong in clubhouse | MLB.com
- Red Sox promoting Yoan Moncada, baseball’s top prospect | SBNation.com
- Scouting and Reflecting on Yoan Moncada | FanGraphs Baseball
- These players are having magnificent seasons, but I didn’t notice because I’m bad at my job | SBNation.com
- The Oakland A’s trading Coco Crisp to the Indians is exactly what everyone needed | Athletics Nation
- Foul liner terrifies fan sitting behind home plate | SBNation.com
- LEGO made a life-sized version of Big Papi out of 34,510 blocks | SBNation.com
- A farm in Canada recreated the Jose Bautista bat flip on their cornfield | SBNation.com
- They Don’t Make Many Like Rougned Odor | FanGraphs Baseball
- MLB viewers' guide to September | ESPN
- What we learned: Desperate teams make playoff push | SweetSpot | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Can Cardinals combine soft rebuild with playoff push this September? | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- St. Louis Cardinals young starting pitching struggles | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Quick Hits: Goold on the Cardinals | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
- Hochman: Friendly competition for Moss, Gyorko | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
- Matheny's use of closer Oh changes, part of 'evolving philosophy' | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- For the 2016 Cardinals the Road to Recovery, the Road to Redemption is ... The Road | 101Sports.com
- The Cardinals Go For the Sweep on the Last Day of August, 2016 in Milwaukee | Viva El Birdos
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central...
- ERA leader Kyle Hendricks masters in control | cubs.com
- Kyle Hendricks as Arrieta’s Opposite | FanGraphs Baseball
- Joe Maddon marvels at 15-game lead Chicago Cubs take into September | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- Brewers beat Cardinals 3-1, snap six game skid | Brew Crew Ball