Over at Sports on Earth, Will Leitch is conducting a survey on the best throwback uniform in Major League Baseball. The Cardinals uniform has long been regarded as one of the best in baseball (the 1960s version is a favorite of UniWatch), and since Will's poll asks the reader to consider all throwbacks, it made me curious as to which one is the best.
But I wanted to look deeper still. I do not just want to consider throwbacks. I want to consider all the uniform styles the Cardinals have worn over the years, at least the main ones. So for the next eleven Mondays, we will be putting the Cardinals uniform against itself to determine the best, and go over some of the uniforms' histories.
But first, the seeding: please vote for your favorite uniform in the poll below. Seeding will follow the number of votes each uniform receives with ties decided via coin toss. The top four uniforms will have a bye.
(H/T to wearefanatics.com with their comprehensive listing of the Cardinals uniform changes)
what else is going on in baseball...
- Post-Deadline World Series favorite power rankings. | Sports on Earth
- Jay Bruce's first hit with Mets is a home run | mets.com
- J.A. Happ wins 15th as Blue Jays beat Astros | MLB.com
- Indians prospect Francisco Mejia's hit streak | indians.com
- Kevin Pillar used the ultra-rare double fakeout to avoid the tag on this amazing slide | MLB.com
- Coco Crisp makes leaping catch to rob a HR | athletics.com
- Jean Segura just wanted to give Orlando Arcia the ball from his first hit, and then it all went wrong | MLB.com
- Justin Verlander, Tigers beat Mets | MLB.com
- Adonis Garcia made a running catch, then decided to just take a seat in the front row | MLB.com
- Check out the awesome flags, jerseys and patches from the Mariners' Griffey appreciation weekend | MLB.com
- Before Ken Griffey Jr.'s number was retired, every Mariners player wore No. 24 during BP | MLB.com
- Ichiro Suzuki singles for career hit No. 2,999 | marlins.comIchiro Suzuki singles for career hit No. 2,999 | marlins.com
- Ichiro becomes the 30th player in MLB history with 3,000 hits | SBNation.com
- Ichiro reaches 3,000 hits by following meticulous standards | ESPN
- Jonathan Lucroy hits two homers, Rangers win | MLB.com
- Giancarlo Stanton sets Statcast homer record | marlins.com
- Paul Clemens got pine tar on his jersey, so he had to assume the identity of 'Paul Player' | MLB.com
- Scientists have discovered the world's most alarmingly large bug and it's on Billy Burns' hat | MLB.com
- The Best of FanGraphs: August 1-5, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- NERD Game Scores for Monday, August 08, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- Alex Rodriguez is retiring in the only way that makes sense | SBNation.com
- Alex Rodriguez’s career was outstanding, flawed, and undeniably human | Pinstripe Alley
- Alex Rodriguez must resist temptation to play again | Yankees Blog | ESPN
- Dodgers notes: Clayton Kershaw plays catch, Julio Urias starts Monday | True Blue LA
- Manny Machado homered 3 times in the first 3 INNINGS of Orioles-White Sox | SBNation.com
- Long road leads to Rob Segedin's impressive Dodgers debut | Los Angeles Dodgers Report | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Checking in on Adam Wainwright’s Curveball | FanGraphs Baseball
- St. Louis Cardinals lose big but think they avoided major injuries | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- St. Louis Cardinals' Jaime Garcia has feel for tormenting hitters | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- The Cardinals Are Terrible at Home. Can They Survive That? | 101Sports.com
- The Cardinals and Brandon Moss, Beyond 2016: It's Complicated | 101Sports.com
- Mozeliak Says Poor Cards Defense is Due to Position Instability | 101Sports.com
- Stan Musial and his nearly flawless 3-game stretch | Retro Simba
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the cincinnati red stockings
- Series preview: Cardinals vs. Reds | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- A Cincinnati Reds community | Red Reporter
the nl central
- Josh Harrison used the fadeaway jumper to get the out on this backhanded gem | MLB.com
- Sorry, MLB, the Cubs are great again | SBNation.com
- Chicago Cubs keep on flying as Kyle Hendricks continues his dominance | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- Kyle Hendricks Q&A on his emergence: 'It's a little crazy' | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN