A few weeks ago I posited the question: What is the best Cardinals uniform ever?
Well friends, there is only one way to find out: Battle Royale.
So, to determine the best Cardinals uniform ever, I have, with your gracious assistance, created a bracket where each uniform will duke it out until we have a winner.
(Many of you have asked about the alternate jersey the Cardinals debuted in 2013. Don't worry, folks. I have a plan. Trust the system.)
Here is the bracket, updated to reflect the winner of last week’s matchup:
This week, the voting continues with...
If you recognize the 1927 uniform, you probably were watching the Cardinals game on Saturday, August 27 against the Oakland A’s. The Cardinals wore these throwbacks during that game and looked super fly. The first thing that stands out about these particular uniforms is the "World Champions" stitched around the team’s newest logo, a single cardinal perched on a bat. It was typical of the time for reigning world champions to have it proudly displayed on their uniform, replacing the team name. The Cardinals were the first team to incorporate it into their actual logo. The uniform also features the iconic "St. L" on the sleeve along with some classic pinstripes. The results speak for themselves modeled by the lovely Pete Alexander above (and on Seung Hwan Oh wearing the throwbacks in the photo below).
- During this offseason The Cardinals shocked baseball by trading Rogers Hornsby, long-time star, player-manager, and Cardinals shareholder, to the Giants for Frankie Frisch and Jimmy Ring
- Frisch led the team in bWAR that season with 9.2
- Hornsby led the Giants with 10.1
- The Cardinals finished the season at 92-61, second in the National League
1956 was a change from the usual course with the removal of the famous Birds on the Bat that had graced the uniform for a majority of the time since 1922. The team instead opted for "Cardinals" written in a script font similar to that which is used today underlined with a swoosh. A patch had also been placed on the sleeve, though it is difficult to see in the photo of Ken Boyer above.
- Fans apparently flipped out when the Birds on the Bat were removed and the following year the iconic logo returned to the uniform
- This team went 76-78 and finished fourth in the National League
- Ken Boyer led the 1956 Cardinals with 6.4 bWAR followed by Stan Musial at 5.5
Vote below for the best!
what else is going on in baseball...
- Matt Moore's near no-hitter beats Dodgers | MLB.com
- Royals' Jarrod Dyson robs Christian Yelich | royals.com
- Carlos Gomez homers in first AB with Rangers | texasrangers.com
- Max Scherzer needs a mixtape after this between-the-legs trick play | MLB.com
- Be mesmerized by the majesty with which Dansby Swanson fielded this grounder | MLB.com
- Aly Raisman kindly let David Ortiz hold all of her medals while she threw a first pitch | MLB.com
- Final Four time in our throwback jersey bracket. | Sports on Earth
- Gary Sanchez helping Yankees make playoff push | yankees.com
- Gary Sanchez hits record-setting 11th home run | yankees.com
- Dustin Pedroia's AB hit streak ends at 11 | redsox.com
- Melvin Upton Jr. and his hustle powered the Blue Jays to a win over the Twins | MLB.com
- Coughlin inducted into Little League Hall of Excellence. | Sports on Earth
- Rich Hill Truly Curveballs Like No One Else | FanGraphs Baseball
- NERD Game Scores for Monday, August 29, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- Sunday Notes: Jessica Mendoza, Stubby Clapp, Strahm, McGuire, more | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Best of FanGraphs: August 22-26, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- Major League Baseball’s Streakiest Team | FanGraphs Baseball
- Yasiel Puig is on trade waivers, but what does that mean? | SBNation.com
- Little League World Series 2016: New York wins first championship since 1964 | SBNation.com
- Carlos Beltran's new hairstyle probably required the use of a marker | SBNation.com
- This young fan got emotional after Mike Trout signed his baseball | SBNation.com
- Bartolo Colon hit a double, then gave a Phillies player a good massage | SBNation.com
- Six players who really need another shot at the playoffs | Beyond the Box Score
- Meet the 2016 Little Big Leaguers | Stats & Info | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Cespedes ruled safe after review at Busch | cardinals.com
- Smith, Edmonds on HOF Tour visit | MLB.com
- Seung-hwan Oh is dominating big league hitters | Beyond the Box Score
- St. Louis Cardinals Jedd Gyorko has emerged as key power source | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- St. Louis Cardinals hoping Luke Weaver, Alex Reyes provide 1-2 punch | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Wong is working on a swing that is ready when he has a role | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Goold: Cardinals choose to share 'C' | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- The Good News: The Cardinals Have Left Home For a While | 101Sports.com
- 8.28.16 Recap: Cards fall to As 7-4 | Viva El Birdos
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the milwaukee brewers
- Series preview: Cardinals at Brewers | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- A Milwaukee Brewers community | Brew Crew Ball.
the nl central
- Bell on Texas Longhorns football | MLB.com
- Kevin Newman on Hitting (His Way to Pittsburgh) | FanGraphs Baseball
- BenFred: Beware the Pirates in the National League wild-card race | Ben Frederickson | stltoday.com
- Cubs' Kris Bryant homers twice to beat Dodgers | MLB.com
- Photos: Chicago Cubs travel in style, head home in onesies | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN