A few weeks ago I posited the question: What is the best Cardinals uniform ever?
Well friends, there is only one way to find out: Battle Royale.
So, to determine the best Cardinals uniform ever, I have, with your gracious assistance, created a bracket where each uniform will duke it out until we have a winner.
(Many of you have asked about the alternate jersey the Cardinals debuted in 2013. Don't worry, folks. I have a plan. Trust the system.)
Here is the bracket, updated to reflect the winner of last week’s matchup:
This week, the voting continues with...
I actually have a bit of a typo in that the year should really say "1995" as that was the year the Cardinals moved from the powder blue away uniforms to the current grey variety. The 1995 uniform is perhaps the most similar to the one we know and love today, with the classic Birds on the Bat stitched proudly on the front. The uniform also returns to the button down style, shown above modeled by the lovely Tom Henke. The team logo returned to the classic from the 20s, where instead of featuring the two Cardinals on the bat inside a circle with "St. Louis Cardinals" written around it, the team name is written below.
- In 1995 Tom Henke recorded 300 saves, the seventh pitcher to do so
- The 1995 team finished 62-81, fourth in the central
- Ray Lankford was on this team
- Wearing this uniform in 1998, Mark McGwire hit 70 home runs
Some might call it "minimalist" while others might say it's "boring", but whatever the preferred word is, the 1909 uniform featured very little in the way of design, modeled above by Ed "Big Ed" Konetchy. There is no "St. Louis" script on the front, no logo on the white cap accented simply with a red brim. The only bit of flare is the wonderful interlocking "STL" logo on the sleeve. A simple design let's the small touches such as the red brim and the arm logo truly stand out and shine.
- This team went 54-78, finishing seventh in the league (of eight teams)
- Ed Konetchy led the team with 4.8 bWAR
- Some more info on Konetchy: the first baseman’s nickname "Big Ed" may have come from his 6-2, 195 lbs stature
- Konetchy’s most productive years were spent with St. Louis, accumulating 27.2 bWAR in his seven year stretch with the team
Vote below for the best!
what else is going on in baseball...
- Orioles homer six times against Astros | MLB.com
- Our throwback jersey bracket: the elite eight. | Sports on Earth
- Naquin powers Indians to walk off vs. Jays | MLB.com
- With an assist from LeBron, the Indians walked off on a wild inside-the-park homer | MLB.com
- Royals fans are still enjoying being champs. | Sports on Earth
- David Ortiz took a selfie with a fan ... right before hitting a home run | MLB.com
- Watch this dad and his baby daughter take in a Rockies game with their beverages of choice | MLB.com
- Albert Pujols tied for 10th on home run list | angels.com
- A passionate Mets fan tore open his jersey to prove his next-level Bartolo Colon fandom | MLB.com
- Softballer extraordinaire, A.J. Andrews, is the first woman presented with a Rawlings Gold Glove | MLB.com
- The Ridiculousness of Aaron Sanchez’s Sinker | FanGraphs Baseball
- NERD Game Scores for Monday, August 22, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Best of FanGraphs: August 15-19, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- Julio Urias is the pitcher the Dodgers deserve | SBNation.com
- Billy Butler injured by Danny Valencia in altercation, reports SF Chronicle | Athletics Nation
- Coco Crisp, Eric Hosmer, Yonder Alonso back Danny Valencia after Billy Butler altercation | Athletics Nation
- Diamondbacks thinking about making some serious changes | MLB Daily Dish
- Little League World Series 2016: Times, TV schedule, online streaming for Monday | SBNation.com
- Baseball player destroys his own truck's windshield with grand slam | SBNation.com
- Texas Rangers rumors: Carlos Gomez signing with Texas | Lone Star Ball
- Yoenis Cespedes, Noah Syndergaard lift Mets back to .500 | Mets Blog | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Baseball Prospectus | Prospect Profile: Magneuris Sierra (shoutout to Tom for this link!)
- St. Louis Cardinals' Brandon Moss enjoying proving haters wrong | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Brandon Moss Will Get Paid in 2017. The Question: Will the Cardinals Be Paying Him? | 101Sports.com
- Gordo: Depleted Cardinals turning negatives into positives | Jeff Gordon | stltoday.com
- Power-mad Cardinals 'picking up momentum' | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- The 2016 Cardinals: Offensively One of the Best Road Teams in Modern MLB History | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Kris Bryant hits 2 homers, Cubs sweep Brewers | MLB.com
- Kris Bryant Might Be the Best All-Around Player in the NL | FanGraphs Baseball
- Kris Bryant Q&A: Which Cubs pitchers would strike him out? | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- Jason Heyward after getting the weekend off: 'My head is fine' | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- Willson Contreras Has Developed into an Everyday Catcher | FanGraphs Baseball
- Joey Votto had 51 pizzas delivered to Ichiro because Joey Votto knows pizza is the best | MLB.com
- Michael Lorenzen honors late father with homer | reds.com
- Gerrit Cole and Francisco Cervelli tried to field the same bunt, and that's where it all went wrong | MLB.com