In route to that World Series, the Cardinals first had to make and improbably comeback to surpass the Braves and take the Wild Card playoff spot. And they did! And rest is, as they say, history.
On this date in 2011 the Cardinals defeat the Pittsburgh Pirates in a decisive 7-2 victory at PNC Park. The Birdos got off to a quick start and did not look back, putting up three runs in the first inning with a two-run homer from Allen Craig and an RBI single from Yadier Molina.
The Pirates struck back against Kyle Lohse in bottom of the fifth on a two-run homer by Jose Tabata, but the Cardinals cobbled together a run the next half inning to take a two-run lead. Craig went on to hit his second homer of the game in the seventh and he, along with Lance Berkman, collected an RBI on a single in the top of the eighth to round out the scoring and secure the win. Lohse finished the game after seven innings pitched with seven strikeouts to one walk and both Pirate runs.
With the Braves loss, the Cardinals ended the day six back of a playoff spot with thirty-eight games remaining.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Enjoy Russell Martin's amazing turtle-on-his-back-style catch in exciting frame-by-frame action | MLB.com
- Jonathan Schoop and Manny Machado's post-homer celebration turned into a football tryout | MLB.com
- Feel the love (and tears) when this staff sergeant comes home to surprise her dad at a Tigers game | MLB.com
- Marlins look ahead with Giancarlo Stanton out | marlins.com
- Giancarlo Stanton and the curse of Potential. | Sports on Earth
- The Uncertain Future of Giancarlo Stanton | FanGraphs Baseball
- Let Mike Napoli teach you the art of the sneak-attack hug with his bear grab of David Ortiz | MLB.com
- Goodbye To The Greatest Walkless Streak We May Ever Know | FanGraphs Baseball
- A Cy Young Reliever Should Be Almost Impossible | FanGraphs Baseball
- The best baseball stories of 2016 (so far) | SBNation.com
- Five players teams would love to move before the waiver deadline | Beyond the Box Score
- Dansby Swanson is now in the majors, and Shelby Miller is not | SBNation.com
- Rob Manfred -- Baseball is changing quicker than ever | ESPN
- J.J. Hardy would come out of pingpong retirement for Clayton Kershaw | Baltimore Orioles- ESPN
- Chase Utley hits two homers in first game back in Philadelphia | ESPN
- Let's look at the best and worst baserunning teams | SweetSpot | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Cardinals rally with 5-run 8th to defeat Cubs | MLB.com
- After a breather, St. Louis Cardinals rev up the power | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- St. Louis Cardinals hoping they haven't seen last of Matt Holliday | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Surgery is Holliday's best bet to play again this season | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Cards May Be Forced To Use Reyes In Higher Leverage Situations | 101Sports.com
- Home Runs Are Saving the 2016 Cardinals | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the houston astros
- Series preview: Cardinals at Astros | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Cardinals should destroy the Astros | Viva El Birdos
- Cardinals bullpen strikes out nine, allows no runs in 8-5 win over Astros | Viva El Birdos
- Cardinals 8, Astros 5: Altuve reaches 1,000 hits in third straight Houston loss | The Crawfish Boxes
- A Houston Astros community | The Crawfish Boxes
the nl central