Last Monday I posited the question: What is the best Cardinals uniform ever?
Well friends, there is only one way to find out: Battle Royale.
So, to determine the best Cardinals uniform ever, I have, with your gracious assistance, created a bracket where each uniform will duke it out until we have a winner.
(Many of you have asked about the alternate jersey the Cardinals debuted in 2013. Don't worry, folks. I have a plan. Trust the system.)
Here is the bracket:
*second round matchups will be changed if necessary, depending on winner of first round game
This week we start with....
The Cardinals adopted the pullover style uniform in 1971, made of stretchy, synthetic material as opposed to the wool button-downs of the past. This uniform also featured "Sans-A-Belt" style pants featuring an elastic waistband, thus eliminating the need for a belt and inspiring the name. The Birds on the Bat are proudly displayed on the front with the iconic "Cardinals" script hanging from it. The Cardinals wore this design throughout the seventies, modifying it slightly in 1981 by changing the collar to a v-neck, as modeled in the photo above by the lovely Darrell Porter, which seems to make all the difference for this look.
- This season marked the 100th season of the Cardinals playing in St. Louis, Missouri
- Keith Hernandez won a Gold Glove
- The Cardinals finished the season at 59-43, the best record in the NL East, but missed the playoff due to strange rules with the strike that tallied the teams record separately for each half of the season
- The Cardinals finished the season at 43-94, eighth (read: last) in the league
- The team was lead by rookie Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown. Why the nickname? Welll....
What is the best Cardinals uniform ever? - A Hunt and Peck | Viva El Birdos
St. Louis Cardinals Uniform and Team History | Heritage Uniforms and Jerseys
The Evolution of the St. Louis Cardinals Jersey
what else is going on in baseball...
- We surveyed 3,343 baseball fans about their team's GM. Here's what they said: | MLB Daily Dish
- 10 pressing questions for the rest of the MLB season. | Sports on Earth
- Advice for Bryce Harper to avoid Alex Rodriguez's fate. | Sports on Earth
- David Dahl extends hit streak, ties MLB mark | rockies.com
- The day Houston gymnast Simone Biles won gold, the Astros swung some golden bats | MLB.com
- Red Sox Hanley Ramirez hurts back in collision | redsox.com
- Alex Rodriguez 'at peace' as career nears end | yankees.com
- Even the sky was clapping for A-Rod at his farewell ceremony | MLB.com
- Alex Rodriguez rips an RBI double and walks off to a standing ovation in his final Yankees game | SBNation.com
- Should Alex Rodriguez Retire? | FanGraphs Baseball
- The alternate histories of Alex Rodriguez on the Dodgers, Mets, Braves, and more | SBNation.com
- Match the player to the fun fact on the back of his baseball card | MLB.com
- Indians prospect Francisco Mejia's hit streak | indians.com
- Marlins Giancarlo Stanton hurt on final play | marlins.com
- Marlins’ playoff hopes take hit with Giancarlo Stanton maybe out for 2016 | SBNation.com
- With Stanton done for the season, how can the Marlins fill the void? | Fish Stripes
- Miami Marlins can still make playoffs without Giancarlo Stanton | SweetSpot | ESPN
- What Could The Marlins Possibly Want With Alex Rodriguez? | FanGraphs Baseball
- Listen to Yasiel Puig cheer for Puerto Rico's first gold medalist, Monica Puig, because '#VivaPuig' | MLB.com
- A.J. Reed pulls off the very rare police officer-fleeing-with-a-stool collision | MLB.com
- This Rangers ballgirl made catching a foul ball look way too easy | MLB.com
- Zach Britton Could Have a Real Cy Young Case | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Best of FanGraphs: August 8-12, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- Time to start discussing Los Angeles Dodgers' Corey Seager in MVP race | SweetSpot | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Cardinals end Cubs' winning streak at 11 games | MLB.com
- Looking Back On It, Adam Wainwright Was Right About Jason Heyward | 101Sports.com
- Projecting Cardinals Call-Up Luke Weaver | FanGraphs Baseball
- Luke Weaver scores another start | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- St. Louis Cardinals getting younger and perhaps better | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- St. Louis Cardinals' plan is to get Randal Grichuk more playing time | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Brandon Moss open to staying with St. Louis Cardinals | MLB Rumor Central | ESPN
- Goold: How Moss learned to mash, without regrets | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Hochman: Wrigley, Busch find common ground on Clark | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
- The Cardinals Are in Transition. And That's Good. So Stay the Course | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Cubs beat Cardinals, win 10th straight game | MLB.com
- Jon Lester endorses acquiring Jonathan Papelbon | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- Brewers are 19th team to score in every inning | brewers.com
- Atlanta Braves called Milwaukee Brewers about Ryan Braun | MLB Rumor Central | ESPN
- What’s Happened On Billy Hamilton’s Weakest Contacts? | FanGraphs Baseball