So it is pretty much common knowledge now that Alex Reyes was pulled early from his start on Tuesday. This could be the result of five things:
- They just wanted to mess with us
Injury did not appear to be a factor and there was no noise of a trade. Let's assume no one was playing a sick joke, so that means we can turn our focus to the fifth one. Due the the double header on Tuesday the Cardinals have no starting pitchers available for Saturday's game against the Marlins, lest they use Jaime Garcia or Carlos Martinez on short rest. Of course, if Reyes was going to start that game on Saturday, pulling him early from his start of Tuesday makes sense.
Is it the right thing to do, though?
I am not a prospect guru here - I will leave that to the red baron - but from what I have gathered, the Cardinals would like Reyes to put innings on his arm in preparation for next year, which has been the main factor in keeping him in AAA despite the team's need for quality bullpen arms. A spot star would not hinder that goal, however, and actually seems like a kinda perfect time to call him up and see where he is at, no?
If he is ready, use him. We all know there is unfortunately only so many pitches in an arm - let's see them in action on the big stage.
Plus, I just really wanna see this wearing the Birds on the Bat:
Reyes pulled from Memphis start; available, if needed, for MLB debut | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
Alex Reyes could make debut Saturday | Viva El Birdos
what else is going on in baseball...
- White Sox beat Cubs on third straight walk-off | whitesox.com
- Melky's terrific leaping catch | MLB.com
- Huston Street, Wade Davis on trade market | MLB.com
- The Catcher Who Suddenly Stopped Catching | FanGraphs Baseball
- Melvin Upton Jr. Heads to Toronto, Continuing Preller Purge | FanGraphs Baseball
- What If the Rockies Aren’t Sellers? | FanGraphs Baseball
- Valuing Relievers: Correction or Bubble? | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Recent History of High-Profile Reliever Acquisitions | FanGraphs Baseball
- Royals call up Raul Mondesi Jr, setting him up to fail | MLB Daily Dish
- The Royals are falling apart in every way | SBNation.com
- Blue Jays win in mad scramble on walk-off wild pitch | SBNation.com
- Man wearing poor-fitting White Sox jersey is the hero Chris Sale needs | SBNation.com
- Stark: Where'd the starting pitchers go at this deadline? | ESPN
- MLB Trade Deadline 2016 | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Trade deadline primer: Cardinals' biggest additions might come from DL | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Jedd Gyorko powering Cardinals' slugging surge | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Rosenthal moves to DL with shoulder, elbow issues | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the new york metropolitans
- Noah Syndergaard was not responsible for the lightning that struck the Empire State Building | MLB.com
- Bartolo Colon shows Noah Syndergaard the way of maximum efficiency | Mets Blog | ESPN
- Mets vs. Cardinals Recap: Bartolo Colon powers Mets to victory in the nightcap | Amazin' Avenue
- Mets infielder Jose Reyes has intercostal strain | Amazin' Avenue
- A New York Mets Community | Amazin' Avenue
the nl central
- Chris Sale, Jonathan Lucroy could be traded | MLB.com
- Theo Epstein, Cubs trade for Aroldis Chapman | yankees.com
- Cubs deprive rivals of a key bullpen piece. | Sports on Earth
- That's What She Said -- Sarah Spain on Aroldis Chapman being traded to the Cubs | ESPN
- The Cubs, Like the Cardinals, Have Learned: There's No Moralizing in Baseball | 101Sports.com
Tweet or e-mail me links @lil_scooter93 or at lil_scooter93 AT msn DOT com!