St. Louis -- After signing a five year, $80 million contract with the St. Louis Cardinals in the winter, Mike Leake found himself off to a rough start with the team he is slated to be with until 2020. In his first six starts he surrendered twenty-three runs and struck out only twenty-two batters.
In his last two starts he has stuck out twenty-one. Only Leake and Bob Gibson have pitched back-to-back games where they have struck out ten and walked no one for the Cardinals.
"I just thought, you know, maybe I should start pitching excellently and see what happens," Leake may or may not have said, "So far, the results have been pretty positive."
"It also does not hurt that the Padres have the eighth worst offense in the league by wRC+," he probably added with a shrug, "The Brewers are even worse, at like, fourth, I think. And both teams are in the top three in strikeout rate."
Whether it is the quality of offenses he has faced, or his new strategy is paying off remains to be seen, but the results are undeniable.
[end incredibly parched satire]
Leake holds the fort until Cards break game open | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
Mike Leake, St. Louis Cardinals' rotation finding another gear | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
what else is going on in baseball...
- Aroldis Chapman throws a pitch 105.1 mph | yankees.com
- Jose Fernandez K's 14 in Marlins' victory | MLB.com
- Jose Altuve isn't afraid to belt some Backstreet Boys in the Astros clubhouse | MLB.com
- 64 Years of Baseball Memories | MLB.com
- Ji-Man Choi got the silent treatment after his first home run, so he high-fived his imaginary friends | MLB.com
- Terry Francona and Carlos Santana's pregame ritual involved lots of kissing | MLB.com
- Korea's all-star festivities included a magnificent BUNT DERBY | MLB.com
- The Braves Should Be Motivated to Trade Julio Teheran | FanGraphs Baseball
- Your guide to a 154-game Major League Baseball season | SBNation.com
- Twins Oust GM Terry Ryan, Assistant GM Rob Antony Named Interim GM | Twinkie Town
- MLB: All-Time MLBRank, Nos. 90-81 | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Former Cardinals scouting director sentenced to 46 months for hacking Astros database | Metro | stltoday.com
- Leake holds the fort until Cards break game open | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Mike Leake, St. Louis Cardinals' rotation finding another gear | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- Cardinals Hacking Scandal Moves to Next Phase: Why You Should Be Nervous | 101Sports.com
- Former Cardinals executive Chris Correa sentenced to four years in prison for hacking Houston Astros | Viva El Birdos
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the san diego padres
- SD 2, STL 10: Friars fun-streak gets paused in St. Louis | Gaslamp Ball
- A San Diego Padres Community | Gaslamp Ball
the nl central