On Saturday, the Cardinals celebrated the ten year anniversary of the 2006 World Championship team. Though the Cardinals dropped the series to the Marlins, the weekend was still fun and provided one of my favorite moments of the season so far.
In 2006, the final out of the season was recorded by Adam Wainwright, who made Brandon Inge swing and miss on a pitch away to strikeout and give the Birdos their tenth World Series title. The pitch was caught by Yadier Molina, who immediately jumped into the air with pure, unabashed joy and embraced his pitcher.
On Saturday night, the night the 2006 team was honored at the game, Adam Wainwright pitched the ninth to catcher Yadier Molina (he also pitched the innings one through eight.). After slugger Giancarlo Stanton grounded out to end the game, Molina ran up to embrace his pitcher once again.
And it was really cool.
No you're crying!
what else is going on in baseball...
- Astros sign Cuban star Yulieski Gurriel | astros.com
- Astros Add Yulieski Gurriel to Suddenly Crowded Infield | FanGraphs Baseball
- Watch Japanese superstar pitcher-turned-DH Shohei Ohtani win the HR Derby | MLB.com (thanks to chris v for the link!)
- How Ichiro, at 42, is now drawing more walks. | Sports on Earth
- Ichiro Suzuki 6 away from 3,000 hits | marlins.com
- 5 teams that need a move before Trade Deadline | MLB.com
- Baseball's three best teams are competing for bullpen help. | Sports on Earth
- My Favorite Under-the-Radar Trade Deadline Target | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Best of FanGraphs: July 11-15, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- Exit Velocity Carryover Effect | FanGraphs Baseball
- Tommy John Surgeries: 2016 Update | FanGraphs Baseball
- By the numbers: Remembering Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak | Stats & Info | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Cardinals' Adam Wainwright shuts out Marlins | cardinals.com
- 2006 Cardinals timed it just right | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Adam Wainwright delivers memorable shutout for St. Louis Cardinals | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
- John Mozeliak Has No Choice: Cardinals Desperately Need Bullpen Help | 101Sports.com
- Hochman: Matheny’s rigid stance finally takes a Holliday | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the san diego padres
- Padres win in 10th on walk-off balk vs. Giants | padres.com
- A Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Game: Pick Your Padres Core | FanGraphs Baseball
- A San Diego Padres Community | Gaslamp Ball
the nl central
- Stephen Strasburg 13-0 after stifling Pirates | nationals.com
- A young Pirates fan experienced the emotional highs and lows of baseball firsthand on Sunday | MLB.com
- This adorable, little Pirates fan is the angriest person ever | SBNation.com
- Billy Hamilton scores from second in Reds' win | reds.com
- Junior Lake hit the ball twice on the same swing to make sure he got a hit | MLB.com
Tweet or e-mail me links @lil_scooter93 or at lil_scooter93 AT msn DOT com!