With the news of Kolten Wong's demotion to AAA Memphis circulating Monday afternoon, Operation #Carp2Second went live. It was a plan that was a considerable success back in 2013, and hopefully will be again this season (though more hopefully, Wong gets back on track and receives the call back up and everything works out hunky-dory).
Of course, the reason this is possible is because Matt Carpenter is a wonderful baseball player. And Major League Baseball has acknowledged that fact this week by naming him National League Player of the Week. Per Joe Trezza of mlb.com:
Major League Baseball rewarded Carpenter for it, naming him the National League Player of the Week on Monday. The announcement came on the heels of a six-game stretch over which Carpenter batted .560 with five doubles and three RBIs.
Two days after returning from the paternity list, the two-time All-Star began a torrid stretch that saw him collect four multihit games and raise his batting average 40 points. Carpenter rattled off consecutive four-hit games against the Brewers on May 30-31, then collected six hits over three games against the Giants at Busch Stadium.
Carpenter ranks in the NL's top five in doubles (17) and triples (four), and in the top 10 in RBIs (36), walks (33) and OPS (.931).
*** Normally today would be Tuesday Trivia, but this news seemed interesting and important enough to push it back to Wednesday. It is not as fun-sounding as "Tuesday Trivia", but we all have to make sacrifices in the cut-throat business of sports journalism. ***
what else is going on in baseball...
- The little-known but awesome story of professional baseball's first father-son battery | MLB.com
- 2016 Broadcaster Rankings (Radio): #30 – #21 | FanGraphs Baseball
- Putting Hitting Streaks in Perspective, Again | FanGraphs Baseball
- What’s Amazing About These First-Place Rangers | FanGraphs Baseball
- Identifying the Ideal Candidate for the Five-Man Infield | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Padres won the offseason 16 months ago, then everything fell apart | SBNation.com
- Why White Sox slugger Jose Abreu is struggling in 2016 | SBNation.com
- Felix Hernandez may be out longer than we thought | Lookout Landing
- Call it a comeback: CC Sabathia among other recent rebounds | Beyond the Box Score
what the cardinals are up to...
- St. Louis Cardinals send Kolten Wong to Triple-A Memphis | ESPN
- Wong optioned to Memphis, making room for Peralta | Cardinal Beat | stltoday.com
- Cardinals demote Wong but haven't given up on him | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Moss vows to stick with his power approach | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- The Cardinals' Pursuit of the First-Place Cubs: Let's Talk In a Month | 101Sports.com
- Carpenter named NL Player of the Week | Cardinal Beat | stltoday.com
- Cardinals' Matt Carpenter wins NL POW | MLB.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the cincinnati reds
- Series preview: Cardinals vs. Reds | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Raisel Iglesias will pitch from bullpen, if and when he returns this year | Red Reporter
- Muhammad Ali is from Kentucky | Red Reporter
- A Cincinnati Reds community | Red Reporter
the nl central
- Cubs win 40th game, on pace for 116 wins | cubs.com
- Cubs pull Jorge Soler from game with hamstring injury | MLB Daily Dish
- How they won: Jason Heyward due for some home runs | Stats & Info | ESPN
- Fernandez a Pirate? Redrafting the 2011 picks | MLB.com