May 31, 2014 was an exciting day. The sky was a bit overcast and rain was in the forecast, but that did little to dampen the enthusiasm. People crowded into Busch Stadium buzzing eagerly about the day to come.
On May 31, 2014 Oscar Taveras finally made his major league debut. The right-fielder of the future was here. The anticipation was palpable.
After flying out in his first plate appearance Taveras stepped up to the plate in the fifth inning with the game still scoreless. After taking the first pitch for a ball, OT waited back on a Yusmeiro Petit changeup and, with the violent, destructive swing that had long been his calling card, pummeled it into the right-field bleachers for his first career home run. It appeared to be the first of many.
And then, as if through some sort of divine act of providence providing an extraordinary symbol of an achieved destiny, the skies opened up and rain began to fall, providing one of the more profound moments of that season, of many seasons. It was a like punctuation mark, the rain, falling to ensure that the moment seemed big, so that all who saw it knew they were seeing something worth remembering.
But enough words.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Rob Manfred announces 'We Are Baseball' tour | MLB.com
- Jackie Bradley Jr.'s hitting streak ends | redsox.com
- First round shakeups in latest MLB mock draft | MLB.com
- College player hits huge homer, carries bat halfway to first before flipping it to the skies above | MLB.com
- Angels Albert Pujols hits home run No. 570 | angels.com
- A-Rod welcomes himself back from the DL with a dinger and an awfully graceful bat flip | MLB.com
- The Tigers accidentally helped the A's turn one of the strangest double plays you'll see | MLB.com
- Unsung players aim to make MLB All-Star Game | MLB.com
- Peculiar DP gives Twins win over Mariners | twinsbaseball.com
- Vote in the Final Four of our MLB jersey bracket. | Sports on Earth
- NERD Game Scores for Tuesday, May 31, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- Braves, Rangers Indicate No End to Publicly Funded Stadiums | FanGraphs Baseball
- On the Shrinking Strike Zone and Lengthening Games | FanGraphs Baseball
- NCAA Baseball Tournament 2016: The selection committee didn't fuss over 'regional diversity' | SBNation.com
- Comparing Julio Urias to other starting pitchers who made their debuts at 19 | Beyond the Box Score
what the cardinals are up to...
- Yadier Molina springs into action, saves day after infield popup deflects off teammate's glove | MLB.com
- Yadier Molina took a tumble corralling a pitch in the dirt but recovered like a champ | MLB.com
- Beat goes on for G. Garcia; Diaz adjusts | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Cardinals notes: Punishment for hacking 'unlikely' before this June's draft | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Battle of the Smart Guys: A Q&A with Matt Bowman | St Louis Cardinals | ESPN
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the milwaukee brewers
- Series preview: Cardinals at Brewers | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- A Milwaukee Brewers community | Brew Crew Ball
the nl central
- Cubs one-hit Dodgers at Wrigley Field | MLB.com
- For Chicago Cubs, even when things go wrong they end up going right | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- Cubs' Jorge Soler hits long homer at Wrigley | MLB.com
- Jason Heyward and Ben Zobrist show that hugging it out is a foolproof method of conflict resolution | MLB.com
- Yankees trade rumors: Cubs reportedly interested in Nathan Eovaldi | Pinstripe Alley