Since his debut in 2001, Albert Pujols has provided the Cardinals and their fans countless memories. He will always be remembered as a Cardinal great, ten-year contracts of indentured servitude aside. When he left St. Louis via free agency in 2011, there was quite a bit of resentment and anger. But now, as the years have passed, the anger has mostly been soothed by the gentle hands of time and where there was once resentment there is now appreciation.
Because when you think about it, Pujols will always be ours, in a way.
Deep down, Albert understands that, too, I think. And he wants to get back here. He wants his moment with the fans, the one Major League Baseball seems so hellbent on denying for some reason. Per Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch:
"To tell you the truth, it is what it is, but I would love to get back to St. Louis, to play a game there," said Pujols... "I was excited to see Freese. That was special. I thought that 2016 was going to be the chance. It didn't work. I always tell people I came there a little boy and I left there a grown man. It would be pretty emotional, too. I'm a pretty emotional guy. ..."
Albert Pujols deserves his moment. I hope he is able to get it.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Nationals beat Tigers on walk-off homer | MLB.com
- Yankees closer Aroldis Chapman reinstated | yankees.com
- Third-base production at historic levels | MLB.com
- Living legend Bartolo Colon can do no wrong. | Sports on Earth
- Meet the All-or-Nothing David Wright | FanGraphs Baseball
- JB Wendelken on His Inauspicious A’s Debut | FanGraphs Baseball
- Stephen Strasburg’s Extension Is a Win-Win | FanGraphs Baseball
- Stephen Strasburg Is the Ace We Always Wanted | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Stephen Strasburg contract makes sense for everyone involved | SBNation.com
- World War II veteran celebrates 100th birthday with a foul ball at Red Sox game | SBNation.com
what the cardinals are up to...
- Cardinals push back Martinez's next start | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Pujols still hopes for St. Louis moment | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
- It's Time to Put Aledmys Diaz in a More Meaningful Lineup Spot | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the los angeles angles of anaheim
- Series Preview - Cardinals @ Angels (No rest for the weary) | Halos Heaven
- A Los Angeles Angels Community | Halos Heaven
the nl central
- Q&A: Pitching prospect Mitch Keller talks about his fast start | Bucs Dugout
- Milwaukee Brewers Trade Rumors: Chicago Cubs Interested in Ryan Braun | Brew Crew Ball