A few months ago it was reported in a bit of heartbreaking news that Hall of Famer and former terror on the basepaths, Lou Brock, had his leg amputated at the knee due to diabetes complications. Following the surgery, Rick Hummel reported that the Base Burglar was in good spirits, hoping to be ready by Opening Day, even claiming that he believed he could still beat the famously lead-footed, long-time Cardinals catcher, Yadier Molina in a footrace.
Opening Day in St. Louis is less than four days away and it appears not only will Brock be back on the diamond, but he has also been preparing to throw out the first pitch. Per Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch:
"I will attempt to throw out the first pitch," said Brock, chuckling, by telephone from St. Louis.
Last October, Brock had to have his left leg amputated several inches below the left knee after contracting a dangerous infection. He was either in the hospital or a rehab center until late January but now he is moving around with the use of a prosthetic device and, often, without the use of a cane, he said.
"A little scary at first," said the 76-year-old Hall of Famer about his ambulatory manner. But, gradually, he said he gained confidence and Monday will be his coming-out party, of a sort.
No one can outrun the hands of time, but if anyone could, my bets would go on the one-time leader in stolen bases.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Home runs flying at record pace in first week | MLB.com
- Dodgers pitcher Kenta Maeda homers in debut | dodgers.com
- Luke Gregerson on His Slider | FanGraphs Baseball
- Starlin Castro in Just a Few Pictures | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Royals are a disgrace to baseball - or so the media would have you think | Royals Review
what the cardinals are up to...
- Gordo: Cardinals need to loosen up a bit | Jeff Gordon | stltoday.com
- Garcia, Martinez are not to be overlooked | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Cardinals notes: Lou Brock warming up for home opener | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Cardinals Hit the Reset Button. Here's What They Need to Do | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the atlanta braves
- Braves rookie John Gant has one of the strangest deliveries you'll ever see | MLB.com
- Preview: Cardinals at Braves | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- An Atlanta Braves community | Talking Chop
the nl central
- Forget autographs, this young Pirates fan gave Andrew McCutchen a pregame bouquet | MLB.com
- Cubs' Kyle Schwarber carted off field after scary outfield collision | SBNation.com
- Cubs' Kyle Schwarber exits with injury | MLB.com
viva el stuff...
- Hunt and Peck | Viva El Birdos
- Mike Matheny gives interview in Affliction shirt | Viva El Birdos
- A few thoughts on "Taking Flight," Rob Rains' newest book on the St. Louis Cardinals | Viva El Birdos
|Sunday, April 3||Cardinals||1||Pirates||4||VEB Recap||BD Recap|
|Tuesday, April 5||Cardinals||5||Pirates||6||VEB Recap||BD Recap|
|Wednesday, April 6||Cardinals||1||Pirates||5||VEB Recap||BD Recap|
Tweet or e-mail me links @lil_scooter93 or lil_scooter93 AT msn DOT com!