One of the many things that makes baseball wonderful is its consistency. Nine innings, nine players, three outs, three strikes, three bases (home plate is not actually a base, right?). So when that consistency is broken, like in extra-innings, mayhem can sometimes ensue.
And it is awesome (usually).
Sunday night the Diamondback went thirteen innings with the Pirates, an affair that left the D-Backs with just two players unused. Starting pitchers pitch hit, while some, like former Cardinals Shelby Miller, had to play the field. And of course, as luck would have it, he immediately found himself in the middle of the action.
Extra baseball often means weird baseball!
The Cardinals are set to face off against Miller Tuesday at 8:40pm. Who knows what sort of shape the Arizona bullpen will be in.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Vote in the finals of our MLB stadium competition. | Sports on Earth
- Crowdsourcing MLB Broadcasters: Day 5 of 10 | FanGraphs Baseball
- 10 players off to hot starts with their new teams. | Sports on Earth
- Dodgers' Yasiel Puig makes incredible throw | MLB.com
- Yasiel Puig makes unbelievable catch running full speed into wall | SBNation.com
- Nolan Arenado Looks Like He’s Up to Something | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Mets are suddenly hitting, but don't be surprised. | Sports on Earth
- White Sox turn triple play against Rangers | whitesox.com
- Why we always get sucked into "on pace" stats. | Sports on Earth
- Stephen Curry takes in Red Sox-Astros game, photo-ops with David Ortiz postgame | MLB.com
- Video: Greatest Athlete on Earth: Bryce | Sports on Earth
- Brett Lawrie goes behind the back for the out at second, may have invented new dance move | MLB.com
- Bryce Harper could be the biggest star in sports. | Sports on Earth
- The Best of FanGraphs: April 18-22, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- Pujols' two-run homer | MLB.com
- Astros fan still wearing incredibly pointy mustache we saw three years ago | SBNation.com
- One of the craziest run downs ended with the winning run scoring | SBNation.com
- Tanner Roark sets career high in Ks with 15 strikeouts in Nationals' 2-0 win | Federal Baseball
what the cardinals are up to...
- Matt Holliday may have won this season's bat flip contest without even trying | MLB.com
- Who's hot (Diaz, Siegrist), who's not (Leake, Moss) for the Cardinals | Jeff Gordon | stltoday.com
- Hummel: Strikeouts are on the rise around the league | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the arizona diamondbacks
- Series preview: Cardinals at Diamondbacks | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- USAF Sergeant surprises son with return at D-backs game | AZ Snake Pit
- An Arizona Diamondbacks Community | AZ Snake Pit
the nl central
- Before throwing a no-hitter, Jake Arrieta paid tribute to Prince | MLB.com
- Jake Arrieta throws no-hitter against Reds | MLB.com
- How Defensive Metrics Might’ve Saved Jake Arrieta’s No-Hitter | FanGraphs Baseball
- Jake Arrieta: King of Weak Contact | FanGraphs Baseball
- Bryant's grand slam | MLB.com
- Nice play, dad: Pirates fan barehands Welington Castillo homer while holding kid | MLB.com
- Pirates' Jordy Mercer hits longest MLB homer | pirates.com