We're leaving together,
But still it's farewell.
And maybe we'll come back
To earth, who can tell?
I guess there is no one to blame
We're leaving ground (leaving ground)
Will things ever be the same again?
It's the final countdown.
The final countdown
Watching the Cardinals these past few weeks I have been rather impressed by newly acquired reliever Seung Hwan Oh. Without actually researching it, I felt he was garnering quite a few swings and misses. His acclaimed slider has proven to be quite a weapon. It appears my feelings have been proved correct BY SCIENCE! Per August Fagerstrom (great name, by the way) of Fangraphs:
Oh has a slider, and he's thrown it 31 times this year. He's thrown 31 sliders, and it's been swung at 15 times. Contact has been made just three times. Put another way, for emphasis: 12 of the 15 swings against Oh's slider have resulted in whiffs this season. Hitters have come up empty 80% of the time.
That is pretty good. So is the chart featured in the article.
Of course, it has only been twenty-five batters. A lot of things can still happen. But it has been an exceptional twenty-five innings, no matter how you slice it.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Big division rivalries begin this week | MLB.com
- Masahiro Tanaka on defeating Hisashi Iwakuma | yankees.com
- Watch Ian Kinsler intentionally fake out Colby Rasmus with a dropped popup | MLB.com
- Only Vin Scully can make reading a grocery list seem exciting | MLB.com
- Bryce Harper might be playing home run H-O-R-S-E, hits dinger directly into bullpen bathroom | MLB.com
- Josh Donaldson was not granted the time he asked for, but he almost swung anyway | MLB.com
- Adrian Beltre Ignores Age, Free Agency | FanGraphs Baseball
- Crowdsourcing MLB Broadcasters: Day 1 of 10 | FanGraphs Baseball
- Players’ View: The Difference Between Left and Right Field | FanGraphs Baseball
- Bryce Harper Is Catching Up to Mike Trout | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Pablo Sandoval situation is only getting weirder | SBNation.com
- Tigers reportedly looking at Kyle Lohse for added rotation depth | Bless You Boys
- Writers say Phillies will once again soon be "monsters" of baseball | The Good Phight
- Noah Syndergaard pitched so hard he left a cross-shaped welt on his catcher | SBNation.com
what the cardinals are up to...
- Seung Hwan Oh Has Been Completely Unhittable | FanGraphs Baseball
- BenFred: Diaz's defense leaving door open for Tejada | Ben Frederickson | stltoday.com
- Cardinals notes: Garcia is a victim of numbers game | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Hochman: Cardinals honor Brock, put focus on diabetes | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
- Cardinals Fans and Jason Heyward As the Designated Villain | 101Sports.com
- The Cardinals Make a Curious Roster Move: Bye-Bye ... Greg Garcia? | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the chicago cubs
- Jon Lester found an inventive new way to successfully field a bunt | MLB.com
- Chicago Cubs vs. St. Louis Cardinals Preview, Monday 4/18, 7:10 CT | Bleed Cubbie Blue
- A Chicago Cubs Community | Bleed Cubbie Blue
the nl central
- Notes: Jung Ho Kang, Jared Hughes to begin rehab assignments | Bucs Dugout
- Brewers (5-6) and Twins (3-9) home and away series preview | Brew Crew Ball
- Robert Stephenson to start for Reds again tonight, Alfredo Simon out with biceps issue | Red Reporter