Early this morning Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reported of some tension in the clubhouse. He wrote that the Cardinals have had a lot of meetings, more than usual for the team. The purpose for meetings is usually to correct a problem, and, of course, problems are a worrisome thing, especially this close to the start of the season. The reason for the unease, according to Goold:
Multiple factors contributed to the team's recent feel, including word that beloved third-base coach Jose Oquendo could miss the season recovering from knee operations, and the Cardinals' two-week run of lackluster games. Matheny also had held a series of prolonged player meetings, individually and in groups, to discuss clubhouse rules and concerns. There is the inherent stress of final roster cuts, and Matheny wondered if some of the wayward play was the result of the priority the Cardinals put on monitoring workloads this spring.
Losing Oquendo is a tough blow, that is for sure. He had been with the team for over a decade, his teaching and guidance is praised, and his experience at coaching third base is comforting. Losing always stinks. No one likes that. Sharing your space is no fun, so rules about that are essential. Roster cuts are miserable and sad, but there is no getting around it.
What I am saying is, this all sounds pretty normal to me. It is not like players are freaking out over a sandwich or something.
Look, the Cardinals have endured a lot in the past. This offseason has been trying, but it by far is not the worst in recent memory, not even close. They will get through this. They will talk it out, put in their work, and when the season starts, they will be ready to play.
Because that is what they do. That is what they have always done.
Five days until Opening Day.
Cardinals enduring spring of discontent | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
what else is going on in baseball...
- MLB breakout candidates for 2016 | MLB.com
- Giancarlo Stanton is baseball's Steph Curry | marlins.com
- International exhibitions hype regular season | MLB.com
- Where have all the stolen bases gone in MLB? | Sports on Earth
- 2016 Positional Power Rankings: Relief Pitchers (#16-30) | FanGraphs Baseball
- 2016 Defensive Visualization | FanGraphs Baseball
- 2016 Positional Power Rankings: Starting Rotations (#1-15) | FanGraphs Baseball
- MLB Opening Day 2016: The one storyline to know for every team | MLB Daily Dish
- Carlos Gomez dabs crossing home after hitting spring training home run, probably breaks some unwritten rule | SBNation.com
- Matt Harvey's mystery injury was caused by not peeing enough | SBNation.com
what the cardinals are up to...
- Stephen Piscotty could have breakout year | cardinals.com
- 2016 Cardinals Preview: Jaime Garcia and Keeping Your Fingers Crossed | 101Sports.com
- Cardinals enduring spring of discontent | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- 9-year-old burn victim got unexpected inspiration from Jack Buck | Other Sports | stltoday.com
- Cardinals Jose Oquendo unsure of 2016 role | cardinals.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central