"Ace" has long been a highly subjective title, unless one is discussing fighter pilots, in which case it is a pilot who has shot down five or more enemy planes. In baseball, however, the meaning has been discussed and debated for many years. Is an "ace" a top ten pitcher in all of Major League Baseball? Or is he the best pitcher on his team? Is it based on the best pitcher for that season, or is it the pitcher with the best track record? Is "ace" status season-by-season, or is it for life - once an "ace" always an "ace"? How you interpret the answers to these questions will probably decide your answer to this one:
Is Adam Wainwright still the Cardinals' ace?
Bernie Miklaz seems to think so:
He's still Adam Wainwright. One of the best Cardinals. Ever. Except for his two seasons of being housed on the DL, Wainwright has been an efficient 200+ inning workhorse and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
He ranks eighth in Cards' history with 121 wins, only seven behind Harry Brecheen and 17 in back of Dizzy Dean ... with 1,326 strikeouts Wainwright is second to Bob Gibson ... Wainwright is 11th in career innings pitched ... Waino's standard ERA, 2.98, ranks fifth .... his fielding independent ERA (2.80) is the best among starters in team history, ahead of Dean (2.92) and Gibson (3.17) ...
Even a slightly diminished Adam Wainwright is still Adam Wainwright. And that name is something opposing hitters have come to dread. Seems pretty "ace"-like to me.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Rays face Cuba in big week for baseball | MLB.com
- Tampa Bay Rays vs. Cuba National Team: Everything you need to know in one place | DRaysBay
- Fernandez, Marlins worked out innings plan | marlins.com
- Top outfields in baseball | MLB.com
- Switch-pitcher Pat Venditte faced off against switch-hitter Antoan Richardson | MLB.com
- Yasiel Puig's arm is so powerful, it probably titled Earth's axis | MLB.com
- Korean-born players are making an impact in MLB. | Sports on Earth
- Cody Anderson Looks Like Matt Harvey | FanGraphs Baseball
- 2016 Positional Power Rankings: First Base | FanGraphs Baseball
- 2016 Positional Power Rankings: Catcher | FanGraphs Baseball
- MLB Opening Day 2016: Projected lineups for all 30 teams | MLB Daily Dish
- Franklin Gutierrez: Death to pitched things | Lookout Landing
- Ranking $100 million contracts in MLB history, from worst to best | Baseball | stltoday.com
what the cardinals are up to...
- 30 Clubs in 30 Days - MLB Network | MLB.com
- Grichuk shows his arm is OK | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Hazelbaker could force Cardinals into tough decision | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Mike Matheny Insists the Cardinals Will Hit "Plenty" of Homers. Is He Right? | 101Sports.com
- An Extensive Look at Ruben Tejada: The Solution or a Mediocre Placeholder? | 101Sports.com
- 2016 Cardinals' Preview: Adam Wainwright, Still the Ace? | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- How the 2016 Pirates can win the NL Central: 5 stories to watch | Bucs Dugout
- Trump Threatens to Run TV Ads Slamming Ricketts' 'Rotten Job' of Running Cubs | NBC Chicago