Earlier Thursday morning Joe Schwarz posted a Q&A he held with Jonathan Rodriguez. Rodriguez is slated to start his year at first base in Memphis, but, as Joe wrote, it would not be surprising to see him on the major league squad at some point this season. At the bottom of the article Joe included a link to an article written by Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch in August of 2015. The article discusses Carlos Martinez and his path to the majors and how Rodriguez helped him on his way:
There to greet him [Martinez] when he reported, among coaches and officials, was Rodriguez, who took Martinez into the apartment and under his wing. It was Rodriguez who helped Martinez get his first bank account. It was Rodriguez who led a group of Latin players to McDonald's so that he could show them how to order on their own. And it has been Rodriguez, now the cleanup hitter at Class AA Springfield, who Martinez has kept texting throughout this season.
The rest of the article is well-written and paints an interesting picture of the transition Latino players must make. Going to a new country with a different language and a different culture seems incredibly difficult, but kind people like Rodriguez might make it a little easier.
Goold: A major hand from a minor-leaguer | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
what else is going on in baseball...
- Braves, Marlins play Fort Bragg Game on July 3 | marlins.com
- Rob Manfred expands | MLB.com
- Dan Haren (very briefly) considered coming out of retirement to help the Dodgers | MLB.com
- A New Way to Study Pitching Injury | FanGraphs Baseball
- Another Year of the Jered Weaver Experiment | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Latest Chapter In Adrian Beltre’s Incredible Book | FanGraphs Baseball
- Yankees rumors: Braves and Yanks discussed 10-player blockbuster trade for Jason Heyward | Pinstripe Alley
- The incredible comeback of Rich Hill | FOX Sports
- Washington Nationals' Bryce Harper wants to change baseball forever | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Trade for shortstop? Mozeliak says 'I'd like to see what we have' | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
- Piscotty may not be first (base), but gets look at (batting) second | Cardinal Beat | stltoday.com
- Molina making progress but still not batting | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Jay Bruce Jorge Soler, others may be dealt | MLB.com
- Close all your tabs except this one and look at this puppy version of Anthony Rizzo | MLB.com
- The Cubs got David Ross a motorized cart to make his final season a little easier | MLB.com