Countless words have been typed on Matt Holliday, stalwart and statue in left field for the entirety of his career, and the possibility of him moving to first base. The idea seems innocent enough. Holliday is not fleet of foot, or really... like, graceful at all, but he is still a great hitter. Maybe first base would be a good place to hide his slightly below average glove? It would also solve the Cardinals first base woes and upgrade the outfield defense. In theory, this is a great idea.
In reality however...
The glove smack gets me every time.
Okay, so it probably will not be that bad. He does not look half bad there, anyway:
#Cardinals chat live from Jupiter at 1 p.m. STL time (https://t.co/0VBQ6cBCaj) Ask me about this: Matt Holliday, 1B: pic.twitter.com/AdapwwsH8I— Derrick Goold (@dgoold) February 10, 2016
It appears Matt is a least willing to try. In fact, he was the one requesting to work out at first. Per Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch:
First base has been the side project. That's not because he saw an opening; he saw a situation. Sitting at his locker Wednesday in the team's spring training clubhouse, Holliday described how there was a time last year when because of injuries and matchups there was the possibility that he could help the team by playing first...
Holliday thought the offseason offered a chance to do the work at first without all the other work during the season he has to do first.
Who knows? Maybe we will see Matt Holliday at first base this year after all.
First things first for Cardinals' Holliday : Sports | STL Today
what else is going on in baseball...
- Division winners most likely to repeat in 2016 | MLB.com
- Prospects Bell, Guerrero have MLB pedigrees | MLB.com
- Josh Donaldson topped an already excellent offseason by hanging out with Justin Timberlake | MLB.com
- A Spring Training question for all 30 MLB teams. | Sports on Earth
- 5 best sophomore seasons in the past century. | Sports on Earth
- The Hardest Pitches in Baseball to Lay Off | FanGraphs Baseball
- MLB Owners’ Next Big Potential Moneymaker | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Angels will never, ever, ever, ever, ever trade Mike Trout | SBNation.com
- MLB.TV lawsuit settlement means cheaper Extra Innings, MLB.TV packages | SBNation.com
what the cardinals are up to...
- First things first for Cardinals' Holliday : Sports | STL Today
- Here's proof that St. Louis Cardinals OF Matt Holliday is working out at first base | FOX Sports
- Cardinals' Oh obtains work visa, set for spring : Sports | STL Today
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
viva el stuff...
- The Fanposts!
Cards fans in New England? | Viva El Birdos
Pitching When It Mattered Most | Viva El Birdos
What’s in store for the Cardinals’ outfield in 2016 | Viva El Birdos
- Viva El Birdos Top Prospects 2016 | Viva El Birdos
- Hunt and Peck | Viva El Birdos