After setting career highs in games played, innings caught, and plate appearances in 2016, Yadier Molina is not quite finished yet. On Monday it was announced the thirty-four year old catcher will play for Puerto Rico in the 2017 World Baseball Classic. Per Jon Morosi of mlb.com:
For now, Molina will prepare to help lead a Puerto Rican team expected to include young stars Francisco Lindor, Carlos Correa and Javier Baez. Molina's legendary acumen behind the plate was especially evident in the 2013 WBC, when he guided a largely unproven Puerto Rican pitching staff into the championship game before losing to the Dominican Republic.
The article also discusses Molina’s contract situation as the catcher is in the final year of his deal with a team option for 2018. While quiet for now, both sides appear to be interested in Yadi finishing his career as a Cardinal.
St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina will represent Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic | ESPN
what else is going on in baseball...
- Can you identify these MLB players from their batting stances? | MLB.com
- MLB player-team reunions that make sense. | Sports on Earth
- Free Agent Matrix: Which teams will land Aroldis Chapman, Kenley Jansen and Mark Melancon? | MLB.com
- The Next Big Leaguers: MLB's future stars | MLB.com
- International draft, roster size in CBA talks | MLB.com
- The Angels’ Cheap Bet on Spin | FanGraphs Baseball
- Comparing the Best and Worst Pitcher Zones | FanGraphs Baseball
- Was the Jean Segura Trade Really the Mitch Haniger Trade? | FanGraphs Baseball
- There is no rational argument for a labor stoppage in baseball | SBNation.com
- MLB trade rumors and news for November 29th, 2016 | MLB Daily Dish
- No, the Dodgers aren’t sitting the offseason out because they’re broke | McCovey Chronicles
- White Sox rumors: Chris Sale vs. the untouchables | South Side Sox
- Tim Tebow and the terrible footballers who came before him | Beyond the Box Score
- Investigating baseball's ultimate feat of the improbable -- the walk-off triple | ESPN
- A sensation in Korea, can Eric Thames make it in the majors? | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Cards Molina to play in World Baseball Classic | MLB.com
- Yadier Molina's Bounceback Season | Beyond the Box Score
- St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina will represent Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic | ESPN
- BenFred: Lovable Pena proved to be swing and miss for Cardinals | Ben Frederickson | stltoday.com
- Ortiz: Castro's death big news for exiles in MLB | Jesus Ortiz | stltoday.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Report: Brewers to non-tender Chris Carter | Brew Crew Ball
- Could Chicago Cubs' Hector Rondon return to closing in 2017? | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- How all 29 other teams can beat the Chicago Cubs | SweetSpot | ESPN