The Cleveland Indians and the Chicago Cubs are going to a Game 7. Game 7 of the World Series is one of the best sporting events in the world. In honor of this historic occasion, here are some of the Cardinals best Game 7s.
October 10, 1926: Cardinals 3, Yankees 2
The Yankees plated two runs via a Babe Ruth solo shot and a Hank Severeid double, but the Cardinals came back in the fourth for three runs, two off a single from Tommy Thevenow. The game would end with Ruth caught stealing second.
October 9, 1934: Cardinals 11, Tigers 0
The Cardinals stormed back from a 3-1 series deficit to dominate the Tigers in Game 7. The Gashouse Gang, led by Dizzy and Daffy Dean, the winning pitchers for the Cardinals in all four wins, won the Cardinals third title in eight years.
October 15, 1964: Yankees 5, Cardinals 7
Bob Gibson goes the distance for the Cardinals, pitching his third game of the series. Two home runs in the ninth spoiled the Ace’s nine strikout complete game performance, but thankfully the offense helped out, particularly Lou Brock and Ken Boyer with home runs, and of course, Gibson’s battery mate Tim McCarver, who had a tremendous series.
October 12, 1967: Cardinals 7, Red Sox 2
The Cardinals look poised to blow a 3-1 series lead until their stopper, ace, and series MVP in the form of Bob Gibson took the mound. Gibson took matters into his own hands on the mound and at the plate, pitching a complete game with ten strikouts and hitting a home run.
October 20, 1982: Brewers 3, Cardinals 6
Game 7 of the 1982 World Series was a stressful, one-run affair until the Cardinals plated two in the bottom of the eighth to seal the deal. After a Lonnie Smith groundrule double, Keith Hernandez was intentionally walked. He later scored on a Steven Braun single after moving to third on Darrell Porter’s RBI single. With a three-run lead to work with, Bruce Sutter returned for the ninth to complete the six-out save.
October 28, 2011: Rangers 2, Cardinals 6
While this series is more famous for the game preceding the decider, Game 7 is where the champions are made. If the Cardinals do not go on to win this game, while Game 6 will still be one for the ages, its significance would be severely diminished. David Freese continued his incredible postseason, hitting a two-run double, his seventh and eighth RBI of the series, to tie the game up 2-2. From there, the Cardinals never looked back. Chris Carpenter and the Cardinals ‘pen sailed through the rest of the game while the offense tacked on four more runs to give the Birdos their eleventh world title.
Game 7s are always fun. Tonight should be a good one.
the world series...
- Bill Murray gave a random Cubs fan a ticket to Game 6 and let her sit next to him | MLB.com
- The Indians forgot how to call for a flyball and it cost them 2 crucial runs | SBNation.com
- Game 6: The worst night of Tyler Naquin's sporting life | SweetSpot | ESPN
- Addison Russell hits slam, Cubs win WS Game 6 | MLB.com
- Addison comes of age: Russell's grand slam guarantees Game 7 | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- Watch Addison Russell’s ruin the Indians’ night with this World Series grand slam | SBNation.com
- This play at first base between Aroldis Chapman and Francisco Lindor was as close as can be | MLB.com
- Aroldis Chapman and the Cost of Risk Aversion | FanGraphs Baseball
- Will use of Chapman come back to haunt Chicago Cubs in Game 7? | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- Cubs vs. Indians 2016 final score: Cubs force Game 7 with 3 homers | SBNation.com
- Chicago Cubs, Cleveland Indians face off in Game 6 | ESPN
- Cubs aiming for historic World Series comeback | MLB.com
- Game 7 of a lifetime! Cubs-Tribe tonight at 8 | MLB.com
- The Indians and Cubs will play the cruelest World Series Game 7 ever | SBNation.com
- There is no underdog, there is only Game 7 | SBNation.com
- Terry Francona to lead Indians into Game 7 | indians.com
- Managers Joe Maddon, Terry Francona shining on their sports' biggest stage | ESPN
- Keys for Cubs, Indians to win Game 7 | MLB.com
- 5 questions for each team heading into Game 7. | Sports on Earth
- The Argument for Starting David Ross in Game Seven | FanGraphs Baseball
- The World Series Strike Zone’s Been Almost Perfectly Even | FanGraphs Baseball
- 2016 World Series Netting Historic TV Ratings | FanGraphs Baseball
- President Obama found out about free World Series tacos and he's SO excited | SBNation.com
what else is going on in baseball...
- Logging Off | FanGraphs Baseball
- Mets closer Jeurys Familia arrested for domestic violence | SBNation.com
what the cardinals are up to...
- Cardinals chat with Derrick Goold | stltoday
- David Bell Is In the Mix for Arizona's Managing Job. Will the Cardinals Shake Up Their Coaching Staff? | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Quiz: Every pitcher for the 2016 Pirates | Bucs Dugout
- Tucker Barnhart was clutch in 2016 | Red Reporter