The 2011 postseason was a wild and crazy roller coaster of emotion. It was wonderful, fun, and nauseating. Reflecting back on that whirlwind of a season, it is easy to turn to Game 6 of the World Series and remember the unlikely majesty the occurred. A timely and well-placed David Freese triple followed by a Lance Berkman single and then followed again by one of the most famous home runs of all time late in the game made the game an instant classic, despite the ominous and downright ugly parts in the beginning and middle.
But it was not the best game of that postseason.
Going into the game on October 7, 2011, anticipation was high. The Cardinals and the league's winningest team had dueled, matching each other punch for punch, to a game five, a clincher, an elimination game, a winner takes-all. And on top of all that, it featured two of the game’s best pitchers, two the game’s most clutch, and two of the game’s closest friends, grizzled veterans that have made their marks and earned their Cy Youngs, squaring off: Roy Halladay of the Phillies and Chris Carpenter of the Cardinals.
If was expected to be a pitchers duel for the ages and they did not disappoint.
It was gut-wrenching.
It was fantastic.
This game, you guys, this game was the stuff of legends. It was awesome. It was the best game of 2011. And it happened five years ago today.
what else is going on in baseball...
- ALDS preview: the Red Sox vs. Indians. | Sports on Earth
- Why did Showalter not use Britton again? | Sports on Earth
- Postseason party with four games on Friday | MLB.com
- Blue Jays beat Rangers in Game 1 of ALDS | MLB.com
- Elvis Andrus unveiled a Derek Jeter-esque jump throw in Game 1 of the ALDS | MLB.com
- Indians win ALDS Game 1 over Red Sox | MLB.com
- It's October, so David Ortiz legged out a double faster than he did all season | MLB.com
- The Most Important Red Sox Might Be the Middle Relievers | FanGraphs Baseball
- Mike Napoli crushed a foul ball out of Progressive Field and into the street (again) | MLB.com
- Tyler Naquin made history tonight... wait | Let's Go Tribe
- What we learned: Terry Francona decides to use his best relievers | SweetSpot | ESPN
- Andrew Miller reminds us why the postseason is so much fun | SBNation.com
- Tale of the Tape: Kershaw faces Scherzer | dodgers.com
- Los Angeles Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw has added to his arsenal | Los Angeles Dodgers Report | ESPN
- The San Francisco Giants are back in the NLDS. | Sports on Earth
- Rating All of the (Remaining) Playoff Teams | FanGraphs Baseball
- Madison Bumgarner and the Crazy Path to Cooperstown | FanGraphs Baseball
- Madison Bumgarner, Yoenis Cespedes, and Two Extremes | FanGraphs Baseball
- The D-Backs’ GM search is going to be something | SBNation.com
what the cardinals are up to...
- Commissioner Rob Manfred -- Cincinnati Reds' dispute over replay rules dubious | ESPN
- Gyorko delivers power for Cards but has no home | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Postseason highlights and heartaches 2012 Washington Nationals | ESPN
- Oh was a lifesaver for Cards' bullpen | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Cardinals' TV ratings slide a bit | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Cardinals play a small role in making TV show 'Pitch' | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
- The Cardinals will look for a center fielder. Here are seven preliminary candidates | 101Sports.com
- Second Half Prediction Contest Results | Cards Conclave
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Postseason vets face off to open NLDS in Chicago | MLB.com
- NLDS Cubs Giants positional breakdown | sfgiants.com
- Joe Maddon's spring training message to the Cubs proves prophetic | ESPN
viva el stuff...
Seriously, when does our playoff series begin? | Viva El Birdos
Did the Cardinals actually destroy anybody this season? | Viva El Birdos
Round 2: Which Cardinals Player Has the Best Walk Up Song? | Viva El Birdos
Look at me, I can be | Viva El Birdos
Jedd Gyorko, Greg Garcia, and Kent Bottenfield | Viva El Birdos
A Highlight Video of the Past Month | Viva El Birdos
Tri-Core and the Many Headed HR Monster | Viva El Birdos
My 2016 St. Louis Cardinals Post-Mortem | Viva El Birdos
It had to be this way | Viva El Birdos
An Albert Pujols Return to St. Louis? | Viva El Birdos
- Matt Holliday's last home run played with "The Natural" theme is awesome | Viva El Birdos
- Cardinals expected to sign extension with Carlos Martinez | Viva El Birdos
- Matthew hammers Florida, begins dayslong beating of coast | Nation | stltoday.com
- Welcome to The Ice Garden | The Ice Garden
- Alexander Steen Returns From Injury Ahead Of Schedule | St. Louis Game Time
- NHL season preview 2016: 3 questions facing the St. Louis Blues | St. Louis Game Time
- Avatar: The Last Airbender Is One Of The Greatest TV Shows Of All Time | Kotaku