A few weeks ago I posited the question: What is the best Cardinals uniform ever?
Well friends, there is only one way to find out: Battle Royale.
So, to determine the best Cardinals uniform ever, I have, with your gracious assistance, created a bracket where each uniform will duke it out until we have a winner.
(Many of you have asked about the alternate jersey the Cardinals debuted in 2013. Don't worry, folks. I have a plan. Trust the system.)
Here is the bracket, updated to reflect the winner of the previous matchup:
The 1927 uniform fought valiantly, but was not able to overcome the 2000 uni, getting doubled-up on in votes 81 to 164.
This week the voting continues with...
The 1971 uni was able to squeak into the Elite Eight with a minor upset, but it faces a behemoth in the beloved number one seed in this bracket, the 1940 uniform.
In 1971 the team ditched the button down uniform for a pullover style top and sans-a-belt pants that were popular of the time. This uniform included a scoop style neckline and simple red and blue stripes along the edges and running down the pant legs as modeled by the lovely Steve Carlton above.
- The team finished 90-72, second behind the 97-win Pittsburgh Pirates
- Bob Gibson threw a no-hitter in this uniform on August 14, 1971 against the Pirates
- Joe Torre won the MVP award for his play while wearing this uniform
- Bob Gibson was awarded a Gold Glove in 1971
The 1940 uniform took the number one seed and it is not difficult to see why. The uniform displays the beautiful simplicity we have grown to know and love with the team’s current design. The team deviated from this iconic logo a few times, but ultimately always brought is back. In 1934 the team brought back the Birds on the Bat with the city name inscribed on the front. Around 1940, the team changed the city name back to "Cardinals". The simple birds and font coupled with the red piping has made this uniform an instant classic (despite the fact that it featured a zipper in 1939). It is modeled above by who I think is Billy Southworth, the manager in 1940.
- The 1940 team finished 84-69 for third in the National League, led by first baseman Johnny Mize with 7.4 bWAR
- Between 1934 and 1954, the era this uniform or some similar variant was worn, the Cardinals we 1884 - 1344, good for a .577 winning percentage and went to the World Series five times, winning four times
- The uniform is largely associated with the "Gashouse Gang" of the 1934 Cardinals, a term meant to be an insult at the team’s shabby appearance, but became a source of pride, a shot at the "aristocracy" of the American League
Vote below for the best!
the world series...
- The Indians are still the better story in the World Series | Let's Go Tribe
- How the Indians struck a deal for October whiff king Andrew Miller | SweetSpot | ESPN
- Tribe may start Danny Salazar in World Series | indians.com
- Does Cleveland Even Need Danny Salazar? | FanGraphs Baseball
- Trevor Bauer says he'll be OK for World Series | indians.com
- Josh Tomlin's dad to watch him pitch in Game 3 | indians.com
- A Cleveland chalk artist created a 'Rally Together' mural in honor of the Indians | MLB.com
- Indians react to facing Cubs in World Series | indians.com
- Cubs like World Series chances against Indians | cubs.com
- It's a Cubs-Indians World Series, and all sorts of famous fans are choosing sides | MLB.com
- Chicago native Jason Kipnis meets Cubs in WS | indians.com
- Aroldis Chapman, Andrew Miller in World Series | MLB.com
- Revisit last time Indians, Cubs were in Series | MLB.com
- Breaking down Cubs, Indians in World Series | MLB.com
- How Kyle Schwarber can fit in Chicago Cubs' World Series plans | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN
- 20 amazing Cubs and Indians facts | MLB.com
- Putting the Indians-Cubs World Series showdown in context of the longest droughts between clubs | MLB.com
- Plan your epic World Series road trip with this handy guide | MLB.com
- No matter what, this World Series will be historic. | Sports on Earth
- The Cubs and Indians could both get key players back for the World Series | SBNation.com
- 2016 World Series schedule: Cubs vs. Indians | SBNation.com
- LeBron James, Dwyane Wade haven't figured out World Series bet yet | Chicago Bulls Blog | ESPN
what else is going on in baseball...
- The Best of FanGraphs: October 17-21, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- Starting Pitching Is Important, Too | FanGraphs Baseball
- International players reportedly balking at possible MLB international draft | SBNation.com
what the cardinals are up to...
- Goold: Could the Cardinals develop a 'fixer' like Andrew Miller? | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
- Bypassed By the Cardinals, Indians Manager Terry Francona Is Building a Hall of Fame Resume | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Progress vs lefties key for Kyle Hendricks | cubs.com
- Cubs beats Dodgers in Game 6 to win NL pennant | MLB.com
- Cubs lose Game 6 of NLCS in horrific fashion (prewrite do not publish) | SBNation.com
- All The Cubs Needed To Win A Pennant? Off-The-Charts Hitting And Pitching | FiveThirtyEight
- Jon Lester, Javier Baez named NLCS MVPs | cubs.com
- The '16 Cubs may already be the best in franchise history. | Sports on Earth
- Celebrate the Cubs' first pennant since 1945 with these photos of the whole city partying | MLB.com
- Cubs fans celebrated the hell out of winning the National League pennant | SBNation.com
- Scouting Kyle Schwarber’s Arizona Fall League Appearance | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Best Team In Baseball Is Still Playing Baseball | FanGraphs Baseball
- Jon Lester Should Have Madison Bumgarner’s Reputation | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Cubs won the National League pennant because curses are dumb | SBNation.com
ha ha ha schadenfreude...
Tweet or e-mail me links @lil_scooter93 or at lil_scooter93 AT msn DOT com!