It is looking increasingly more likely that the Cardinals long-time third base coach, José Oquendo, will not be returning to the big league club in 2017. There has been a medley of speculation surrounding the reason why, but no definitive answer has yet to be proven.
It is difficult not to underappreciated the impact of a major league coach, though Oquendo might be the exception, especially after his absence during the 2016 season. The coach’s infamous aggressiveness in sending runners has provoked the ire of some fans, but mostly only endearingly so. Upon reflection, he seemed to get it right more than wrong. His ability to position the infield and instruct fielders has become legendary to the point of hyperbole (with him, anyone can play second base, you know), until this season when without his tutelage, the team ranked sixth in errors and at times looked just plain sloppy on the field.
After 27 seasons wearing the Birds on the Bat, "The Secret Weapon" will be sorely missed if he does not return. In order to commemorate his time in the organization, here are some of his most iconic moments:
Feel free to play this song in the background.
Don’t go, Oquendo, I’ll miss you...
Goold: Changes to coaching staff, roster still ahead for Cardinals | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
what else is going on in baseball...
- Indians take 3-0 ALCS lead vs. Blue Jays | MLB.com
- Indians' bullpen comes up big in Game 3 win | indians.com
- Corey Kluber to start Game 4 for Indians | indians.com
- Indians' Trevor Bauer exits Game 3 in first | indians.com
- Indians' pen stops the bleeding in Game 3 as World Series beckons | SweetSpot | ESPN
- Statcast of the Day: Coco Crisp robs Donaldson | indians.com
- Andrew Miller on the Evolution of his Slider | FanGraphs Baseball
- Andrew Miller’s New Harder Slider | FanGraphs Baseball
- Andrew Miller’s Postseason Dominance in Context | FanGraphs Baseball
- Terry Francona won’t stop flipping off cameras just because it’s the ALCS | SBNation.com
- Francona added another entry to Hall of Fame resume with Game 3 win | Buster Olney Blog | ESPN
- Jose Bautista Thinks the ALCS Is Rigged | FanGraphs Baseball
- A history of baseball teams down 0-3 in a postseason series | SBNation.com
- The Blue Jays’ season is one loss from ending | SBNation.com
- Kenley Jansen guided by Cubs' Mike Borzello | dodgers.com
- Yasmani Grandal framing helps Dodgers in NLCS | dodgers.com
- Rich Hill is a remarkable baseball weirdo | SBNation.com
- Watch young catcher Kenley Jansen throw out Ryan Braun at second in the 2009 WBC | MLB.com
- Giancarlo Stanton, A.J. Ramos and Ricky Nolasco created a tribute to Jose Fernandez in Brazil | MLB.com
what the cardinals are up to...
- Goold: Changes to coaching staff, roster still ahead for Cardinals | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
- Derrick May leaving Cardinals' coaching staff | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Cubs' defense delivering at elite level | cubs.com
- The Game 2 Story That Almost Was | FanGraphs Baseball
- Cubs closer Aroldis Chapman isn't as unhittable as you think | ESPN
- There Is No "Cubs 'Curse," But There Will Be Plenty Cursing if They Don't Start Hitting | 101Sports.com
not sports related just really adorable...