Moving Trevor Rosenthal to the rotation is something that has been discussed a lot over the years. Rosie wants to start, he has that electric fastball, a vicious changeup, a serviceable curve, so it is easy to see the appeal. When Trevor debuted in 2012, the Birdos were a bit desperate for fresh bullpen arms, so that is where he ended up and that is where he stayed, his development as a starter a bit stunted by the quick transition. Sometimes he struggles with command. It is unknown if he can maintain his velocity as a starter (though I believe I remember reading he can). The Cardinals need quality bullpen arms. It is also easy to see the appeal of keeping Rosenthal a reliever.
There are a lot of other factors that will contribute to the club’s decision on Rosenthal. Does the team want to tender him a contract (I think they will)? Where do the Cardinals envision Alex Reyes starting the year? Does the club pick up Jaime Garcia’s option? How does the team feel about the health of Lance Lynn? The rotation has a lot of moving parts and therefore a lot of directions it could go. Ignoring all that, however, and just looking at this decision in a vacuum, it is of this writer’s opinion that the Cardinals should let Rosenthal start and the reason is simple: I think he would be really good at it.
what else is going on in baseball...
- A long World Series drought will end in 2016 | MLB.com
- Dodgers defeat Nationals, force NLDS Game 5 | MLB.com
- Clayton Kershaw's most important numbers: two playoff wins for Dodgers | Los Angeles Dodgers Report | ESPN
- Indians manager Terry Francona hasn't lost his touch. | Sports on Earth
- The Indians’ Pitching Was Bound to Be Underrated | FanGraphs Baseball
- The One Way I’ll Second Guess Bruce Bochy | FanGraphs Baseball
- Say goodbye to the Giants' even-year believen' | Stats & Info | ESPN
- Ben Affleck keeps finding out about Boston sports losses during interviews | SBNation.com
- Boston Red Sox David Ortiz decided to write the final chapter of his story | ESPN
- Mets Tim Tebow makes Arizona Fall League debut | mets.com
- Here is a photo of Tim Tebow running directly into a wall in his Arizona Fall League debut | SBNation.com
- Zach Britton Wasn’t Even the AL’s Best Reliever | FanGraphs Baseball
what the cardinals are up to...
- Daily Bernie: October 6 - Rosenthal to the Rotation?, Rutherford Talks Blues' Depth | 101Sports.com
- ‘Elite’ closer Rosenthal still has eye on starting | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com.
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Cubs rally to defeat Giants, advance to NLCS | MLB.com
- Cubs rally takes magical season to new heights | cubs.com
- Jason Heyward posts fastest home to first time | MLB.com
- All the ups, downs and drama of NLDS Game 4 as told by a series of Cubs reaction GIFs | MLB.com
- John Lackey Versus Lefties in 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- Did Joe Maddon Get Too Cute in Game 3? | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Unexpected, Expected Anthony Rizzo Approach | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Cubs killed the Even Year, which didn’t exist anyway | SBNation.com
- The Giants’ bullpen struggles finally doomed their season | SBNation.com
- Giant stunner: Inside the Cubs' clinching rally | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN