A few weeks ago I posited the question: What is the best Cardinals uniform ever?
Well friends, there is only one way to find out: Battle Royale.
So, to determine the best Cardinals uniform ever, I have, with your gracious assistance, created a bracket where each uniform will duke it out until we have a winner.
(Many of you have asked about the alternate jersey the Cardinals debuted in 2013. Don't worry, folks. I have a plan. Trust the system.)
Here is the bracket, updated to reflect the winner of the previous matchup.
The 1969 uniform more than lapped the fifth seeded 1981 uni to advance to the quarterfinals.
This week the voting continues with...
Both of these uniforms are slightly different variants of another popular version. 1991 (really 1995) closely resembles the uniforms of the present with just slightly smaller birds. The main change with this uniform is the discontinuation of the powder blue road unis. 1995 also brought back the button up style modeled above by Tom Henke. This uniform destroyed its competition in the first round, garnering a whopping 87% of the vote.
- In 1995 Tom Henke recorded 300 saves, the seventh pitcher to do so
- The 1995 team finished 62-81, fourth in the central
- Ray Lankford was on this team
- Wearing this uniform in 1998, Mark McGwire hit 70 home runs
The competition will be tougher this go-around as the 1980 uniform makes its tournament debut. This uni has long been beloved by the fans due to its unusual colors - the famous powder blue. The neckline also changes from a scoop to a v-neck as modeled by a man who appears to be George Hendrick. The players’ numbers also appears on the sleeve of the uniform as opposed to the front of the jersey.
- The 1980 team finished 74-88, fourth in the NL East
- This team played under four different managers, with Ken Boyer famously fired in between games of a double header in Montreal
- Despite its losing the record, the team set a record for most Silver Slugger winners: Keith Hernández (first base), Garry Templeton (shortstop), George Hendrick (outfielder), Ted Simmons (catcher), and Bob Forsch (pitcher)
- Keith Hernandez won a Gold Glove in 1980
- While wearing this uniform in 1982, however, the Cardinals went 92-70, defeating the Brewers in the World Series
Vote below for the best!
The Evolution of the St. Louis Cardinals Jersey
St. Louis Cardinals Uniform and Team History | Heritage Uniforms and Jerseys
what else is going on in baseball...
- Blue Jays' Francisco Liriano hit by line drive | bluejays.com
- Blue Jays' Liriano has mild concussion | bluejays.com
- Aaron Sanchez pays tribute to Jose Fernandez | bluejays.com
- Blue Jays walk off on Rangers and into ALCS | MLB.com
- Rangers vs. Blue Jays 2016 final score: Toronto wins Game 3 in a walk-off to complete sweep, advance to ALCS | SBNation.com
- Kevin Pillar Hit a Stupid Home Run | FanGraphs Baseball
- Eight things Blue Jays fans can be thankful for after their sweep of the Rangers | MLB.com
- The Blue Jays are absolutely frightening right now | SBNation.com
- Blue Jays' Josh Donaldson scores to win ALDS | bluejays.com
- Unlikely hero Jose Lobaton uses bat (and shirt) to send message | Washington Nationals | ESPN
- Prince Fielder cheering on Rangers in playoffs | texasrangers.com
- LeBron James was the Indians' hype man for ALDS Game 2 | MLB.com
- In a battle of pitchers hitting, Madison Bumgarner appeared as a pinch-hitter | MLB.com
- Madison Bumgarner, Jake Arrieta feared hitters | sfgiants.com
- Why all the aces can't be the Giants' Madison Bumgarner in October | ESPN
- Nationals even NLDS after Game 2 victory | MLB.com
- After beating the Ravens, Kirk Cousins asked reporters if the Nats won | MLB.com
- What makes Nationals manager Dusty Baker, well, Dusty Baker? | ESPN
- Clayton Kershaw New Trick Status Update | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Best of FanGraphs: October 3-7, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Cubs and Indians can both clinch on Monday | SBNation.com
- Andrew Mille doing everything for Cleveland Indians | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Who's on third in 2017? Peralta's strong finish makes him a factor | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Goold: Cardinals seek answers for poor play at home | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Cards rookie catcher Kelly learning from a master | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- The Cubs Won 103 Games. Now Comes the Hard Part. Just Ask the 2004, 2005 and 2015 Cardinals | 101Sports.com
- Conversations With C70: Episode 63 | Cards Conclave
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Enthusiastic Cubs fan Bill Murray was stoked about Javier Baez's decisive NLDS Game 1 homer | MLB.com
- Bill Murray wanted everyone at the NLDS to have as much fun as he was | MLB.com
- Bill Murray is the best, happiest Cubs fan at Wrigley | SBNation.com
- Would a Cubs title be best baseball team story ever? | Sports on Earth
- Cubs' Chapman sets Statcast postseason record | cubs.com
- Aroldis Chapman, Without His Command | FanGraphs Baseball
- NLDS Chicago Cubs-San Francisco Giants mega preview -- Who will win Game 3 | ESPN