I understand this is a Cardinals blog, but please humor me for just a second. This will not take long.
I have written about the Rams on here only one other time when I discussed a new talk show featuring a staff of only women gimmickly named "We Need to Talk", and how some mean boys made me feel like I did not belong in the sports world when I said I liked the Rams. I hated feeling like that.
With the news that the Rams are moving, those feelings have returned. Instead of mean, fourth-grade boys, however, it is billionaire owners telling me I do not belong. That I am not a good enough.
I feel this way because no matter how hard I try, sports are very personal to me. It is why I felt betrayed when Albert Pujols left, why Jason Heyward signing with the Cubs made me feel sick, and why I cried myself to sleep the night Oscar Taveras died. It is not something I can easily explain. Maybe it is the time and effort spent with the players at the forefront of my thoughts. Maybe it is the shared identity of being a part of St. Louis. Maybe it is a character flaw.
The St. Louis Rams are why I love sports today. The Greatest Show on Turf made me fall in love with the thrill of victory and is why I sought it out in other forms, like baseball, hockey, basketball, and anything else I could find. That team made me love competition. Without the Rams I would not be writing for Viva el Birdos. Football made me love baseball. And that is why the Rams will always hold a special place in what is left of my heart after they tore it out.
Best of luck in Los Angeles.
Go Cardinals! Go Blues!
And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
what else is going on in baseball...
- The Dodgers now have 6 former GMs in their front office | FOX Sports
- Lazaro Armenteros eligible for free agency | MLB.com
- Miami Marlins sign Wei-Yin Chen to 5-year, $80 million | Fish Stripes
- The biggest remaining hole on every American League roster | SBNation.com
- More than half the teams in baseball think they're going to have a top-5 rotation | SBNation.com
- Who improved at the plate in the second half of 2015? | FOX Sports
- The Risk of Signing Ian Desmond | FanGraphs Baseball
- Vital questions as Spring Training looms | MLB.com
- 5 hitters who could have breakout 2016 seasons | MLB.com
- Early 2016 MLB Spring Training guide | MLB.com
- Chris Archer's hair has grown so long, he needs a bigger hat size for this upcoming season | MLB.com
what the cardinals are up to...
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Chicago Cubs remove Kyle Schwarber NLDS-clinching home run ball from atop video board in right field | FOX Sports
- Reds agree to deal with Alfredo Rodriguez | reds.com