"You have Yadier (Molina), who is going to be done in two years maybe. You have Matt Holliday, who is probably going to be done soon.
"There were already moves with Jon Jay gone, and then Tony Cruz, and (Adam) Wainwright is probably going to be done in three or four years. I think that's when his contract is up. Not to say he won't play any longer, but guys like that are what really introduced me to the St. Louis Cardinals organization. I felt like if I was to look up in three years and see a completely different team, that would kind of be difficult."
Craig discussed this aging core in a post yesterday:
Four out of the top nine projected players on the Cardinals are 33- to 36-years old. That is the aging core we keep hearing about. However, of the 20 top-projected players for the Cardinals next season, just five are older than 30, eleven are 27 and younger with seven players 25 and younger. The average age of players listed above: 28.1.
Great minds think alike, because I had also begun to research this as well. I looked at the qualified hitters and pitchers (separated into starters and relievers) and calculated their average age based on the last team each player had played on. Here are the results:
Then I looked at contributions from players under 26 years of age (I chose that because that is how old Heyward is):
What became clear to me is that yes, the Cardinals window will close eventually if they are unable to replace the production from their aging core of players, however, they are not in the dire situation some have made it seem to be. These graphs also do not take into account contribution from players that did not play enough to be "qualified", such as Randal Grichuk, Tommy Pham, and Stephen Piscotty (but also included Heyward as a Cardinal). The time to contend is now.
(Feel free to e-mail me at lil_scooter93 AT msn DOT com if you would like me to e-mail you complete data set!)
what else is going on in baseball...
- Cuban defectors return on MLB goodwill tour | MLB.com
- Clayton Kershaw embraces goodwill tour of Cuba | dodgers.com
- Giants introduce Johnny Cueto | sfgiants.com
- 7 wonderful reasons that Mets fans should be thrilled their team re-signed Bartolo Colon | MLB.com
- Enrique Hernandez learns the golden rule of Hot Stove season: Be specific with your tweets | MLB.com
what the cardinals are up to...
- Cardinals reportedly after Mike Leake | Viva El Birdos
- Molina undergoes another thumb surgery | Viva El Birdos
- "Best" of C70: Star Wars Mashups Edition | Cards Conclave
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Nationals, Reds agree to Brandon Phillips trade | MLB Daily Dish
- Reds Trade Reactions: Why not more for Todd Frazier? | Red Reporter
- Pirates trade Keon Broxton, Trey Supak to Brewers for Jason Rogers | Bucs Dugout
- Brewers Free Agent Targets: Pedro Alvarez | Brew Crew Ball
- Cubs Complete Starlin Castro/Adam Warren Trade, Officially Add Brendan Ryan | Bleed Cubbie Blue
viva el stuff...
- Plan B | Viva El Birdos
- The Cardinals Should Retool and Plan for 2018 | Viva El Birdos
- Evaluating the Loss of Luis Perdomo | Viva El Birdos
- In Mostly Loving Memory | Viva El Birdos
- Chris davis - why the hell not? | Viva El Birdos
- In Mozeliak We Trust | Viva El Birdos
- 2015 was just a great f**king year in sports. Just great. | SBNation.com
- Predators Vs. Blues Recap: Vladdy Don't Care 'Bout No Return. | St. Louis Game Time
- St. Louis Rams 31, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23: Early Offense Powers Rams To TNF Victory | Turf Show Times