On Monday the Cardinals honored three of their minor league players with awards. Sharing Pitcher of the Year were Alexander Reyes and Austin Gomber and earning Player of the Year was Stephen Piscotty.
Reyes flew through four levels this season, starting with the Gulf Coast Cardinals and finishing in AA with the Springfield Cardinals. After dominating A-ball hitters in sixty-three innings pitched with a 2.26 ERA, 36.6% K-Rate, and a .215 average against, Reyes moved on to AA where he also excelled. He would finish the season after thirty-four innings in AA with a 3-2 record, a 3.12 ERA, 36.4% K-Rate, and .169 average against.
Sharing the award is left-handed pitcher Austin Gomber. Gomber spent his entire season in A-ball.He pitched 135 innings for the Peoria Chiefs, going 15-3 with 2.67 ERA. Gomber struck out 26% of the batters he faced while allowing an average against of just .193.
Of course, Stephen Piscotty's heroics for the major league team will be what his 2015 is remembered for, but his minor league season was impressive as well. In eighty-seven games for the AAA Memphis Redbirds, Piscotty hit for a .272 average with a .366 on-base percentage, good for a wRC+ of 125. Though is strikeout rate increased to a career high 16.7%, his walk rate and isolated power also increased to career highs to 12.4% a .203, respectively. Piscotty complemented these offensive numbers with solid outfield defense in addition to learning a new position, first base.
Congrats to the baby Birdos!
what else is going on in baseball...
- Dodgers sign pair of Cuban prospects | dodgers.com
- Five young players who could sign extensions | MLB.com
- Free agency and trades ready to heat up | MLB.com
- Put on your finest stirrup socks and vote for the first annual Cut4 Baseball Fashion Awards | MLB.com
- A close look at 2015's most improved MLB clubs. | Sports on Earth
- Byung Ho Park hit a baseball straight to Minnesota and South Korea won the Premier 12 tournament | MLB.com
- Gabe Kapler tweeted a heartfelt note congratulating new Dodgers manager Dave Roberts | SBNation.com
what the cardinals are up to...
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Trading for Aroldis Chapman | FanGraphs Baseball
- Reds' Jay Bruce has limited no-trade clause | reds.com
- David Stearns on His Vision for Building the Brewers | FanGraphs Baseball