After missing most of the 2012 season recovering from thoracic outlet syndrome and the surgery to correct it, the 2009 Comeback Player of the Year made yet another return, pitching the Cardinals to win in NLDS Game two against the Nationals, his tenth postseason win. Though that recovery seemed miraculous, it came at a cost. Before the 2013 season began, the last year remaining his contract with the Cardinals, the 2005 Cy Young winner informed team officials that he was experiencing the numbness and tingling in his right shoulder, the same discomfort that had plagued him before the surgery that removed one of his ribs. Not content to just give up, Carp made one final comeback attempt. He pitched a total of two games: one for the AA Springfield Cardinals and the other for the AAA Memphis Redbirds. He would not appear in another game.
Chris Carpenter has always been a fighter. It is why we love him. It is why opposing fans hate him. That same attitude that refused to surrender to injury was exactly the reason he was the perfect Big Game Pitcher, the reason we wanted him to pitch Game Five of the 2011 NLDS, the reason we wanted him to pitch Game Seven of the 2011 World Series on short rest. He is six-feet, six-inches of garlic salt and red wine vinegar. I miss him terribly.
Hope retirement is treating you well, Darth Carp! Thanks for the memories!
what else is going on in baseball...
- Bryce Harper, Josh Donaldson win BBWAA MVPs | MLB.com
- Esurance MLB Awards honors Best Major Leaguer | MLB.com
- 3 MLB Opening Day games on first Sunday | MLB.com
- Mookie Betts is baseball's next two-sport star because he's in the World Series of Bowling | MLB.com
- The day a Japanese high schooler struck out Ruth, Gehrig and Foxx in succession | MLB.com
- Vin Scully made his pro broadcasting debut calling college football from the Fenway Park roof | MLB.com
- Bryce Harper and Josh Donaldson are the 2015 MVPs. | Sports on Earth
- Year-to-Year Predictability of Pitcher Ball-in-Play Data | FanGraphs Baseball
- Sign Jason Heyward | Lookout Landing (GET YOUR GRUBBY MITTS OFF.)
- Miami Marlins might have to move Scott Boras clients | Fish Stripes
- Is Jose Fernandez going to be traded? Of course he is. | MLB Daily Dish
- Who Is Baseball’s Most Well-Rounded Position Player? | FanGraphs Baseball (MY GOSH, JUST SIGN JASON HEYWARD ALREADY, PLEASE)
- Chris Davis: A Risk in Free Agency | FanGraphs Baseball
what the cardinals are up to...
- Edmonds vs. Ortiz: Jim Edmonds Fact of the Day #3 | Viva El Birdos
- Cardinals' Opening Day against Pirates to air on ESPN | Viva El Birdos
- Aledmys Diaz, Dean Kiekhefer, and Charlie Tilson added to 40-man roster | Viva El Birdos
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Pirates, Orioles discussed Neil Walker trade | Bucs Dugout
- Brewers Acquire SS Jonathan Villar From Astros | Brew Crew Ball
- Todd Frazier "legitimately out there" in trade talks | Red Reporter
viva el stuff...
- St. Louis Cardinals podcast: Lance Lynn, Mark Buehrle, David Price, Alex Reyes, Ben Zobrist, and Jason Heyward | Viva El Birdos
- Adieu and thank you | Viva El Birdos
- New Managing Editor at Viva El Birdos | Viva El Birdos
- The end of an era - A Hunt and Peck | Viva El Birdos
- A year ago the Cardinals traded Shelby Miller for Jason Heyward - A Hunt and Peck | Viva El Birdos
- ACQUIRE JOSE FERNANDEZ - A Hunt and Peck | Viva El Birdos
- It is Tsunamy Thursday! - A Hunt and Peck | Viva El Birdos
- Why the Cardinals should sign Chris Davis | Viva El Birdos
- Exploring A Potential Matt Adams Trade | Viva El Birdos
- Spend the offseason with Cardinals postseason history | Viva El Birdos
- The Case for Mark Buehrle | Viva El Birdos
- So you want to be a General Manager... Er, I want YOU to be a GM. | Viva El Birdos
- Sizing Up the Hall of Fame Candidacies of the St. Louis Cardinals | Viva El Birdos
- St. Louis Rams At Baltimore Ravens: Hypothetical Thursday Injury Report Centers Around Two Big Names | Turf Show Times
- Game Recap: Blues Ride the Allen Train To Victory | St. Louis Game Time