The farm system goes 3-for-4 tonight. Tyrell Jenkins finds his strikeout pitch and Palm Beach wins with the long ball.
- A weak showing for Memphis offense on a day where both sides were dominated by pitching. Jamie Romak and Brock Peterson were the only two to reach base twice. Romak with a pair of singles and Peterson mixing together a single and a walk.
- Overall, Memphis was 4-for-28 with 6 walks and 0 extra base hits.
- John Gast tallied 6.2 additional scoreless innings to his name. He allowed 4 hits and walked 1. Gast struck out 6 in the 101 pitch outing. Gast begins his season with 24.2 scoreless innings.
- Eric Fornataro pitched 1.1 innings allowing 1 hit, 1 walk and striking out 1.
- Jorge Rondon closed out the 9th allowing 1 hit, 1 walk and striking out 2.
- Mike O'Neill was 0-for-2 but managed 3 walks.
- Richard Castillo pitched 6 innings. He allowed 4 hits and walked 2 for 1 run. Castillo struck out 3.
- Deryk Hooker struck out 3 in 3 perfect innings.
- Michael Blazek struck out 1 to close out the game.
- Matt Williams was 3-for-4 with a double.
Colin Walsh was 3-for-5 with a home run. It was Walsh's 2nd home run of the season.
- Stephen Piscotty was 0-for-4 with a walk.
- Anthony Garcia was 1-for-4 with his 4th home run of the season.
- Jonathan Rodriguez had a heck of a day going 3-for-5 with a double and a home run.
- Jose Almarante allowed 4 hits for 2 runs in 3.1 innings. He walked 2 and struck out 1.
- What followed was a parade of relievers including Brandon Creath, Lee Stoppelman, Ronald Shaban and Heath Wyatt. Wyatt would pick up the win on the back of Rodriguez's game winning home run.
Of course the story of this game was the ejection of Fort Myers top prospect Miguel Sano from the game after hitting a home run off of Creath in the 5th. From the Palm Beach twitter feed:
Top 5: After nearly getting hit by fastball,Sano crushes homer over RF wall, proceeds to taunt the Cards dugout, ejected mid trot— Palm Beach Cardinals (@GoPBCardinals) April 21, 2013
The Fort Myers manager was subsequently ejected as well defending Sano.
- Patrick Wisdom was 1-for-4 with a grand slam.
- Jordan Walton was 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Charlie Tilson was 3-for-4.
- Gerwuins Velazco was 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Tyrell Jenkins had a mixed outing but a strong number of strikeouts. Jenkins punched out 7 in 4 innings. He allowed 3 runs on 7 hits. Jenkins also recorded 4 groundouts against 0 airouts.
- Corey Baker allowed 4 runs in 2 innings on 5 hits. Baker struck out 1 and walked 1.
- Jhonny Polanco struck out 2 in 2 perfect innings.