Position players lead the DFR with some outstanding performances at every level of the organization yesterday.
- Kolten Wong was 2-for-5.
- Oscar Taveras was 1-for-5.
- Ryan Jackson was 2-for-3 with a double and 2 walks. Jackson played third base while Greg Garcia manned shortstop. This certainly looks like the major league club grooming a player for a utility role. The Cardinals, however, are not in need of that kind of player with the likes of Daniel Descalso and Matt Carpenter on the team playing multiple infield positions already.
- Greg Garcia was 2-for-5.
- Justin Christian was 1-for-4 with a grand slam.
- A bit of a messy box score for Michael Wacha who allowed 3 runs (2 earned) in 5 innings. He struck out 3 and walked 1 with 3 hits. Wacha's dominance came to an abrupt end at AAA after a strong spring performance.
- Eduardo Sanchez retired two batters, 1 via strikeout, to bail Sam Freeman out of a jam. Sanchez has yet to allow a run in 5.2 innings of work. More encouraging is the lone walk.
- Eric Fornataro allowed 3 runs (2 earned) on 2 hits. He pitched 1 inning and struck out 1.
Springfield 2, Corpus Christi 3
- Mike O'Neill was 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Jake Lemmerman walked and homered in a 1-for-3 outing.
- Ruben Gotay was 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles.
- Boone Whiting pitched 5 innings allowing 2 runs. He struck out 4 and walked 2 with 5 hits.
- Kevin Thomas allowed 1 hit in 2 innings and struck out 3.
Palm Beach 14, Jupiter 2 (Game 1: 7 innings)
- James Ramsey was 2-for-5.
- Colin Walsh was 3-for-4 with a double.
- Anthony Garcia was 3-for-3 with a home run and a walk.
- Nick Longmire was 3-for-5 with a home run.
- Ronnie Gil was 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles.
- Tim Cooney allowed 11 hits in 5 innings but managed to hold Jupiter to just 2 runs (1 earned). He was aided by his 2 pickoffs of runners. Cooney struck out 1.
- Lee Stoppelman and Iden Nazario both struck out 1 in a scoreless inning. Nazario walked 1.
Palm Beach 3, Jupiter 4 (Game 2: 7 innings)
- James Ramsey was 2-for-3 with a double and a walk.
- Cody Stanley was 3-for-4 with a home run.
- Tyler Rahmatulla was 0-for-3. Rahmatulla is off to a terrible start after struggling post-promotion to Palm Beach last season. He has 2 hits in 20 at bats with no walks and no extra base hits. That's a .100/.100/.100 slash line.
- Tyler Melling struck out 4 in 5 innings. He walked 1 and allowed 6 hits for 3 runs (2 earned).
- Patrick Wisdom was 0-for-5.
- Alex Mejia was 2-for-3. Mejia also stole his first base of the season.
- Ildemaro Vargas was 2-for-4 with a double.
- Dail Villanueva allowed 4 runs (2 earned) in 3 innings. He walked 3 and allowed 3 hits while striking out 1.
- Zach Petrick allowed an unearned run on 3 hits in 2.2 innings. He struck out an impressive 6. In 7.2 innings, that's 15 strikeouts and 0 walks.